Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

2 tone elgin question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Here is a elgin that is on ebay i am thinking about biding on,looks like one of the jewels has been changed and was wondering if the hole has been made bigger to fit the jewel now in the plate..

what do you think could this be fixed. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Nice two tone Elgin!! This is not an answer to your question but I see a screw missing (or broken) above the S on the regulator marker.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Robert missed the broke screw thanks for pointing it out ,,this is a common grade Elgin but i like the 2 tone dont see that very much on the Elgins.
Smile

posted
Samie, I agree. The jewel for the palate fork arbor looks to have been changed to one that is not original. If you really like the watch and the price is right, I'm sure that, with your skills, you could put it back right. These jewels with settings are readily available. As you have stated, the only problem would be if the plate hole was enlarged to accept the new jewel.

Tom

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Is it my eyes or does the movement look a bit small for the case (Note the gap on the left side of the pic ).. I really like the two-tone look tho

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Samie,
I believe that the jewel hole will be OK. The overlap of the jewel screws on the pallet jewel setting is about the same as on the other jewel settings. What makes it look odd is that the replacement setting wasn't relieved so that the jewel screws would lie flush with the plate. As a result, the screws stick up above the plate.
That sure is a nice example of TuTone damaskeening. Smile

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
thanks everone for the comments and help..

Ed.and Tom do you think after the jewel setting is removed there wil be any damange to the gold flashing from the odd jewel now in the watch. Smile

posted
Samie, As for damage, maybe or maybe no. I think it would depend on how tightly the screws were torqued in.

Tom

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Since the plates already have the relief cut into them for the jewel screw heads, everything should be OK. It is the incorrect jewel setting that might be scarred by the screw heads. Since you are replacing the setting, it shouldn't matter.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
I bought the watch i did not MEET THE RESERVE but bought it after the auction was over,i paid too much i guess but i like it..I think i have a proper jewel and setting for it, if not one should be easy to find..
THANKS AGAIN Smile

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
I got the 2 tone Elgin number 18965145 in the mail today it was nicer than i thought it would be,,as usually all the old plates i have has the jewel missing that i need..This one will be a nice one once the jewel is replaced..

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Boy, that IS a pretty thing, Samie! Eek Good catch!! Smile

HIGH regards!

Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002