Internet Horology Club 185
Elgin 2 tone movement

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/7123928667

October 17, 2011, 16:04
Gary E. Foster
Elgin 2 tone movement
Bought this number 19018590 from ebay last week, seller couldn't get the case back off.

October 17, 2011, 16:08
Gary E. Foster
I didn't know Elgin made 2 tone movements, needs a balance staff and regulator arm, and whatever else. Comments, opinions please. By the way I paid $28 for this.
Gary
October 17, 2011, 16:31
Lindell V. Riddle

Interesting watch Gary,

Elgin was not big on 2-tone movements so they show up very infrequently. For example, here is a 2006 topic from Samie Smith showing the one he found at that time.

CLICK FOR: 2-Tone Elgin by Samie Smith

Interestingly, there were minor, easily repaired problems with both watches and obviously both are somewhat unusual therefore worth saving.

Congratulations!

Lindell

Wink

October 17, 2011, 16:35
Jared Brinker
Gary-

Beautiful find at a great price! I've wanted a 2-tome 18s elgin for a while, but they always seem to be pretty high priced.

I seem to make more off the unknown on ebay than I do the known. You can sometimes get bit too... I bought a partially running howard last week for $80 in a gold filled case that they could get the back off of. To say the least the case is getting scrapped as it is bad and the series 9 movement inside is only good for parts due to many issues. maybe next time!
October 17, 2011, 21:24
Samie L. Smith
Gary nice 2-tone i really like the Elgin 2-tones i still have the 18 2-tone i bought a few years ago..

The watch can and should be fixed i both like and collect 2-tone movements. From what i see in your picture the watch should be a easy fix,,be careful cleaning 2 tone movements ,dirty cleaning soultion or too much time in a cleaning machine will destory a beautiful movement.

The way i clean them is clean all the jewels by hand then 2 mintues in both the cleaning and rinse soultion for the 2-tone bridges and balance cock,,then i run the pillar plate and train wheels etc. in a second cleaning cycle after the 2-tone plates are cleaned and dried. Smile
October 17, 2011, 22:19
Ray Hallenbeck
Very nice two tone Elgin, the first I've seen with that type of pattern
October 21, 2011, 22:44
Gary E. Foster
Thanks to All for the replies. Can anyone give me some info as to the rarity of this watch, I've tried a google search, with no results. I am wondering about it's value. Any and all info, thoughts, opinions or otherwise appreciated.

Gary
October 21, 2011, 22:51
Gary E. Foster
Here's a front view as received.