Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Union Watch Revisited . . . Not a "Fake" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Recently, Rob Jones posted a picture (below) and asked about a "Union Watch" that he was trying to evaluate. Many felt it may be a "Swiss Fake". The discussion is at;

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6047761/m/6893943077

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As in my opinion a "Swiss Fake" looks much like a Classic US-Made watch like this one . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I suggested that Rob's was NOT a "Fake", and was actually listed in Ehrhardt Meggans, although they had no picture due to scarcity of the watch. So Rob let me acquire it for further research . . . The FIRST thing I found on dis-assembly were Laminated Pallet Jewels, VERY High end Swiss, often Hand-Made . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The second thing became obvious soon afterwards, this was a Hand-Made watch including Hand finished Escapement insert plate, layout compass scribe marks for the wheel train and a stopworks Motor Barrel! Hardly "Fake" work . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The 18K Gold filled case has all matching numbers . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The plates are marked Union Watch Co., Boston, in two places, also marked "1st Series" and all the key components have matching "7551" serial numbers . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
After finishing it up, all I can say is that a watch that is this old, presents this well, runs this good, and looks this "different" IS a Swiss watch, 1870 or so but IS NOT a "Swiss Fake" and hardly a "copy".

posted
David-

Looks like a beauty all finished up.

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Dave you truely have an eye for quality. And I am impressed at your skill. Have you had any luck with second hand pinions. Someone cut one off a very rare watch of mine before I received it.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Dave, I agree, Swiss but not a Swiss fake. Pictures really do help.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
So what's the difference between a Swiss watch and a Swiss fake?

One that's meant to look like an American (or other) brand?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Looks good Dave always nice to see a watch all restored. There wasnt much wrong with it was there?

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nope Rob, it is fins and going on eBay tonight.