Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Union Watch COmpany "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Has anyone ever heard of this company

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 1555
posted
Looks like another one of those adaptly named swiss fakes Rob.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Or is this some sort of cheapie that was trying to duplicate some american company, if so I wonder what. THis is about a 18s watch.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Didnt see your post Bila if it is a fake what were they trying to copy.

IHC Member 1555
posted
I do not know what they were trying to copy Rob, I have not seen any American watch that even resembles this, probably just trying to cash-in with duping unexpecting consumers.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Ok well Thanks for your help

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Robert, the 18 size 11 Jewel (honest pairs for Escape and Pallet staffs) Swiss Made Union Watch Co. watch is referred to in Ehrhardt's Gold book but not illustrated, possibly due to a shortage of subjects. I would be very interested in acquiring this watch and verifying several things about the movement and restoring it as well. Please contact me if you are interested with selling it to me.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I must add that my opinion of this watch is that it was not made with the heavy handed brutality imposed on what is normally referred to as a "Swiss Fake".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Sending you an email Dave

IHC Life Member
posted
Sent more pics of the watch to you.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Some time ago I had a very similar watch that was a gilt movement and I thought it was a Swiss fake that looked a bit nicer than most. Another collector said that they were actually not "Swiss fakes" . Be interesting to know what they are.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
In the first edition watch guide of 1981 in the Swiss import section lists a Union Watch Co, and Union Watch Co, New York.
There was however a Union Watch Case Company listed in the same book in the Watch Case manufacturers section.
Either way, certainly Swiss, will be nice to see it's restoration if one is going to take place.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Ray I have run across a few Union watch cases and always wondered if that was an appeal to labor union members? I seem to remember that several companies were union and maybe there was an appeal to union Members?

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
That would be just enough "catchy wording" to attract them Richard, seems like everyone needed an angle to sell their wares.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006