Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case back stuck! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Does anyone have any idea of how to get a case back off. I think that a case screw has loosened, if I tap the back at the three position, I can hear it. I have tried almost everything I can think of like taking the bezel off to be sure the movement is as loose as possable, turning the watch face down and working the cover back and forth gently. The cover is not tightened down tight, as I can move it just a little in eather direction.

It is a 992B in an A case.

Thank you for any help!

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
Larry I had the same problem one time.Not on a992 but a Hampden I believe.A case screw had slipped out and was interferring with removal of back.I rapped it gently on bubble wrap and shook it several times.The case did come off and the case screw was laying under the balance wheel.The movt seemed to be just fine.Other than this I don't know.Good luck! Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Try loosening the bezel to let pressure off the movement thus relieving pressure off the movement and the screw you think is locking it down.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I loctite super glue ("control liquid" in grey and pink bottle) my Harley front axle cap (stock pics below) [or a 1 Inch Hex Nut] to the cover, let it set, put a little isopropyl in the "crack" and TWIST!

It always has unscrewed effortlessly.

THen use a watch case opener to "pop" the cap (or 1" hex nut). You will find the residual glue is not hard to shave off with a single edge razor.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
lawrence-

is the movement loose enough that you can move it in the case?

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
No Jared, I tried, but the movement doesn't move. Just the back cover moves ever so slightly.

David, I like it. I will give it a try in the morning. Can I pick the Harley up in the morning. I'll return it as soon as I'm finished with the caps!! Smile

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll let you know how I make out.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
From the back of the 992B we have case screws at 1-7 o'clock.

I would put the case back half way between the two positions that you can wiggle it. Then I would loosen the front bezel and place it face down in one hand, put a piece of material over the case back and use a blunt instrument to give it several light raps at 12-2 o'clock and 6-8 o'clock positions. Now I would see if I can wiggle the case back as before and if possible pulling upwards a bit with the back cover. I would try that several times and see what happens.

If we failed then I would go to a "dry" vibrating type cleaner machine and with the case back again between the two "wiggle positions", I would place it face down and turn the sucker on. Keep trying for a 3-5 minute vibration time and see what you have.

I might mark the two wiggle positions on the case mid section with a marks a lot to see if I am making any progress with any attempts.

As a last alternative say tomorrow evening, I would then be ready to admit defeat and put the torque to it. I have a big washer with a 1/2" nut welded to it that I superglue to the caseback and put the wrench to it to take them off as a last resort.

That's all I know, good luck !! If you aren't pressed for time, you can play with it for days before "crunch" time comes !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Larry-

If worse comes to worse, I'd probably take it off your hands for $50 and take a hack at it myself Big Grin

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I used super glue as Dave suggested and super glues a large nut to the back cover. But instead of shaving the glue off I used acetone. It removes the super glue and you don't take a chance of scratching the case while shaving the glue off. Good Luck!

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Well, I want to thank everyone for there advise. I took your advice Buster and just kept working it with it in the MIDDLE position, and then I would snap it with my finger all around. Long story short, It's OFF!!

These things really work. They stick to the cover so I could pull it up, as Buster mentioned, while I was turning ever so gently on the cover.

IHC Life Member
posted
And here is the loose screw!! Frown

Thank you everyone!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Larry: so what exactly is the rubber doodad you have in your hand with the back in it? I can't seem to find it mentioned in the posts Confused

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi tom,

That is a case back remover. It works really well. If you push in the center of the back you have a really good suction to the case and there are not any case backs that I cannot get off or on with it. There are sone venders on ebay that have them. The importent thing is that they are made of soft rubber. If they are hard rubber they just do not do the job, so I always ask. The person I get them from is in Canada. Great guy. I can give you there name and number if you like.

I will even send them to a customer if I have a case back that I feel may give them a hard time.

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Larry,his name and info please and thank you,Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
When all else fails go to our own site. Smile

John Duvall tutorial: Removing Stubborn Case Backs & Bezels

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Phil for directing us to John D. Duvall's "HELPING HAND TUTORIALS". There is a wealth of information in that forum!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5231 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1514
posted
WOULD USING "LOCTITE"ON THE CASE SCREWS PREVENT THIS,IT MUST HAPPEN ALOT.

Posts: 73 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 29, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Tom, I've been out all day.

Here is the info.

Tom and Cathy Pollard 709-521-4955

Regards,
Larry

posted
Timesavers carries these openers for $3.50. If you keep them in a little plastic bag they don't get hard nearly as soon. They are handy!
Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted
If you don't have a case opener,try on a pair of rubber surgical gloves. Gives fantastic grip on the cases.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009