Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your latest PW finds, 2013 "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Member
posted
Mine is this Ball-Waltham Official RR Standard, 21j from circa 1911, with single sunk dial with a very feint hairline. States, "Adjusted to 5 positions". Incorrect case but possibly the correct hands.

Case needs a good cleaning, a good runner.

Posts: 85 | Location: North Texas in the USA | Registered: July 28, 2013
Life Member
posted
movement

Posts: 85 | Location: North Texas in the USA | Registered: July 28, 2013
IHC Member 1183
posted
I recently acquired this hunter version of a Waltham Dominion Railways pocket watch.

Posts: 2121 | Location: St. Peters, Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2008
IHC Member 1183
posted
It goes nicely with its open face cousin.

Posts: 2121 | Location: St. Peters, Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2008
IHC Member 1183
posted
Now the open face will have someone to hang out with.

IHC Member 1183
posted
Note the variation in the background cloud pattern, amongst other differences....

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
nice one Barry.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Nice watches Barry, I always enjoy seeing them.

So it seems each dial was individually hand painted.

There is one in the link below with CPR on the tender. Also one on ebay now without the painting, Waltham logo and red afternoon numbers, way pricey.

You may be aware of this but here is a link discussing them on the Dominion Atlantic Railway Digital Preservation Initiative board:

DAR DPI FORUM

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1183
posted

IHC Member 1357
posted
Beautiful watches Barry and a tough act to follow!I just received an Elgin 18 size,17 jewels,PW/LS,Grade 226,Model 2Hunter,S/N 8077438 circa 1900.Gilt movt. There was only 2600 of these made and only in the year 1900.Really keeps RR time.
Roger

c

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
movt.

e

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1016
posted
I had been looking for some time for a Model 9 marked "Temperature" and six positions. I did find one a few weeks ago and am in the process of replacing the dial with one very similar minus the chips and lines.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Dial and case are toast

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The full movement hasn't been cleaned yet but the new dial and case will make this one a very nice watch. Also just got a 17 Jewel Model 9 and so have a couple of nice ones to go with the 19 jewel and the 21 jewel. I have to kick this habit!

IHC Member 1541
posted
quote:
I have to kick this habit!

Good luck with that. Smile

I bought this just because I think the case will look better in hand. Tracking shows it just cleared customs so I should know in a few days. Did you ever have that that fellow do some re-engraving for you? If so I would like to see a B&A as I may want to get this one done.

If not and you are still looking to try for a bit of a deal on more than one, I'm in.

It just occurred to me that this one may not be distinct enough so perhaps I may have to find a pic of one like this. I guess "Good luck with that" would apply here as well.

Maybe that babe on NCIS can enhance it like she does with ground off serial numbers on guns. Smile

IHC Member 1016
posted
Lorne, I did have two cases re-engraved and they were very nice. I never could get a really good deal for multiples going. Don does not need the pattern on the case as he has the templates on hand.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...353995757#1353995757
Follow this thread to the end for result

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Here's an interesting high-grade Swiss watch made to resemble a Waltham Model 1892 by Gallet & Co. for sale in Timothy Eaton's Canadian department stores. I collect Model 1892's, so this 18-size, 23-jewel 6-position Interocean model really does speak to me, espectially the bold RN 24-hour PL dial, which has to be the coolest Canadian style dial I've ever seen.

18-Size 23-Jewel Eaton-Gallet Interocean Model -- Made to Resemble a Waltham M1892

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted

And Here's the Bold RN Private Label 24-Hour Dial

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1541
posted
Handsome dial Ed. Not that it is difficult to read a conventional dial but this is pleasant to the eye, it "radiates", just like the iris of your eye.

Larry has one very similar 10 posts down on pg.1 of his private label thread. It reads Watson Bros. Calgary but the simplicity of the <E> on this one gives it a symmetry that is very easy to look at.

I am surprised that Webb C. Ball never made a dial like this.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Lorne. I think you analyzed why and how this dial was speaking to me very accurately! Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed, your "interocean" Gallet has to be rare indeed. The elegant presentation including an artful execution of the dial, a highly detailed and gold filled movement finish has to make this one of the most earnest "Swiss copies" made.

Capping the 3rd end 4th wheels with two extra jewels to reach the 23 mark "shows" well while helping mask the going barrel "faux" copy of a Waltham 1892.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
That's cool info David. The only other example I've seen offered for sale on eBay was slightly later (movement #126788), had some big scratches on the movement, a boring 24-hour AN dial, and still sold for $1350, $360 more than I paid for mine 2 days before.

Another 18-size Eaton-Gallet Interocean (mvt #126788)
that sold 2 days after mine. I think I got the better watch.

posted
here is my Washington only 400/500 ever made in
hunter case
one finger goes nice with my 3 fingers collection.

posted
and the movement

IHC Member 1016
posted
Really nice Peter, what happened to the other two fingers Eek
Seriously, these are neat watches and unusual.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
I agree Mike, some Illinois collectors look down their rather long noses at Washington Watch Co. as somehow being of lesser quality than the regular Illinois grades, which of course isn't true at all. They were private label Illinois watches made for sale by Montgomery Ward, with each model being fully equivalent to a regular Illinois grade.

I just picked up a 16-size Liberty Bell hunter the other day. Another 1-finger movement, rather cute I thought. It's in a proper hunter case to boot, which by itself is worth about what I paid for the whole watch.

Recent Acquisition -- 16S Washington Watch Co. Liberty Bell Hunter

IHC Member 1016
posted
Yes Ed, we agree. Very nice find! Now, this is my finished product from the post above. My 21 jewel Bunn Special Model 9, marked "Temperature and Six Positions" with a bath, a new dial, different hands and case. Clearly not original, but darn nice looking.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Without that pesky extra thick crystal

IHC Member 1016
posted
Cleaner movement

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
That's a Variety 6 16-size 21-jewel Bunn Special, circa 1915 (Total Production = 7700). It has a transitional dial: older bold gothic Arabic numerals and the newer plain bold Arabic (a.k.a. straight-line) "ILLINOIS" signature.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Ed, as you can see, the dial is the same as the one that was on it before (original?) but without the gash near the lever. The case is more appropriate than the one on it when I acquired it. I felt fortunate to be able to obtain another identical dial that was inappropriate on the "parts movement" I purchased.

Ed, what makes it a "variety 6"? Is it the spelled out "Temperature"?

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Yes Mike, I'm thinking the current dial and case are both period-correct, so it your Model 9 has now been restored to what could have been its original appearance. Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

posted
nice work Mike.