• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

17j 16s Elgin "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Just for curiosity sake........What is the difference between a common 17j three finger bridge model and one marked GM Weeler?

Posts: 148 | Location: Germantown, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2015
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
a lot better movement, adjusted, gold jewels setting, gold center wheel
better grade less made

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Peter,
Thank you I have several 17j 3 finger bridge models and 2 are GM Weeler's and they all appear to run the same and yes they are all COA nice movements if I may say

Posts: 148 | Location: Germantown, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2015
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
compare the jewels setting you will notice the difference on the other hand grade 280 is 3 fingers 17 jewels also but RRG

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
I have a 280 the only difference I can see is that it is lever set but that is not a GM Weeler Again I say thank you for your input. Not tonight but tomorrow I will have a good look at both. I think the 3 finger bridge mvmts are wonderful I also have the 15j and 21j and I will ask a couple of questions on the 2 21j mvmts that i have.
Have to go to bed now

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
I'm with "3-Fingers Pete" as well.. the 3FB Elgin movements are some of my favorites and I have a number in my collection. For a real treat check out the 16 size Elgin Grade 86 it combines the 3 finger bridge arrangement with a convertible mechanism (can be set up as a hunter or open face watch). Considering these were built in the 1880's they are an engineering marvel and a work of art.

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
As Peter said, it has to do with quality. To add to his comment and relay some information to you, Elgin remains the "King" when it comes to nameless watches. B.W. Raymond was the Railroader's watch, while the G.M. Wheeler was the Gentleman's watch. Before grade numbers were introduced, names were used by watchmakers to order parts. The names generally implied a certain level of quality. Not all G.M. Wheeler's were the same quality, but they were usually higher quality than nameless grades. The G.M. Wheeler's that were made were always of lower quality than the B.W. Raymond's. Names were used on different grades, different sizes, and models.

By 1877 over 90% of Elgin movements sold were nameless with only "Elgin" and the serial number on them. Actually B.W.Raymond, H.H.Taylor, and G.M.Wheeler were merely registered "Trade Marks" that Elgin started using on their watches back then and would remain over the years.

The transition from KWKS to the first "stem-wind" started June 28, 1873, and was firmly in place by May 6, 1875, for most of the nameless watches as well as the "Raymond, Culver, Taylor, Wheeler, Laflin, and Ogden" grades of every size and grade.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009