Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Howard 12s 23 Jewel Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I am working on a 12s Howard 23 jewel & I have a question about the jewel locations.

I notice on the 16s it shows different locations for the 22 & 23 jewel such as the motor barrel or banking pins.

The one I am working on has the jeweled banking pins & since the book doesn't mention the different locations of the jewels for the 12s did they all have the ruby banking pins.

Thanks
Tom

Banking pins

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well I got it finished & I thought I would share a few photos, looks like perhaps a perfect metal dial & very nice case with a stiff bow.

Tom

Face

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Back

Case Back

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Inner cover

Cover

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Movement

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Tom,

They sure took some strange paths in effort to pumping up the jewel-count didn't they? But seriously, the later Howards have been under-appreciated by watch collectors for far too long. It is nice to see your interest in them.

Looks like a nearly untouched example, right down to the stamped code inside the case-back. We will probably never know what it originally meant but finding it still on the case after all these years is remarkable.

Thanks for sharing the images!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

Thanks for the comments, I am amazed too at the locations they put different jewels at, I also try to imagine them making the parts & then putting them together. I know if I were to try to attach jewels to banking pins I would get 1 out of every 100 in place. I guess I would last to long in the factory.

Tom

IHC Member 1124
posted
I was thinking that the stamp may have been a service mark by a thoroughly modern watchmaker. Who knows. Sometimes the questions are more interesting than the answers!

A most beautiful and interesting watch, Tom. Thanks for sharing it.

©harles

Posts: 134 | Location: South New Jersey in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2008
posted
This is an old thread, but Tom, I was wondering if the jeweled banking pins you photographed in the first message above came from a 23j, 12s, Howard? Or did it come from a 16s Howard?

Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The photo of the banking pins was from a 23 jewel 12s Howard.

Tom

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
So this watch would be on a par with other 12S 23-jewel models, such as the Hamilton 922, Illinois Ariston, Lord Elgin, or South Bend 431.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Well I think the powers that be should at least create another line in the fat book for 23j, 12s Howards that have ruby banking pins - unless they all have ruby pins. This is what they did for 16s, 23J Howards (SOME of which have ruby pins, and some of which do not).

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
May be wrong but believe all of the 12s 23 jewel Howards have ruby banking pins.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
I just checked 3 - 23j, size 12 Howards. They all have ruby banking pins, and the barrel arbors are not jeweled. So it makes sense that if the winding arbor is not jeweled, something else has to have 2 jewels if they are going to call it a 23 jewel movement.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Jewel banking pins-the ultimate "smokestack" jewels! Nice Howard, Tom.Not being a watchmaker, I've always wondered if a lot of those type pins got broken off during repair work.They'd have to be pretty fragile. Best regards, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Tom.
A very nice job, you must be proud of this little beauty, I'v not really looked at Howards untill now. I will be looking out for them in the future when looking for new projects, thanks for sharing this one.
Regards Ian.

Posts: 39 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2010