Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

'92 model Appleton Tracy question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I would like to ask if anyone can explain what the difference is between the standard 17J A.T.& Co. 1892 model, and the A.T.& Co. "Premier". I know that the standard model was a 3-position watch, and I've heard that the Premier could be 5-position adjusted.Is that true? I've never seen an old ad for a Premier grade to see if any different features were listed for it.Is the damaskeen pattern or overall finish work better on the Premier? Thanks....Ted Brown.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ted

I am not familar with the watch but thought I would post what Ehrhardt shows. It lists the AT&Co 1892 as adjusted & the Premier as adjusted 3 positions.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
After I posted the above, I found these images on the web, apparently Ehrhardt's book is wrong or I misread it.

premier

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The plain AT&Co

ATCo

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The one on the left is 1897,. and on the right is 1901, they both have the same damaskeening as do about 7 more ATCo's in my "bunch", and they all advertise as "P" grade. So what I need to know is how do we determine the "Premier" from the "rabble"?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
You can't see it in the ad that Tom posted about the Premier, but I found a larger version of the same ad and Premier is actually engraved on the barrel plate.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
From searching images on the web it would appear the Premier grades have that engraved on the movement.

premier

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks, Tom, Mary-Ann,& Dave.I see that the only apparent difference is the 5 position adjustment on the "Premier".Mine is The standard model, it also has the same damaskeening pattern as the ones you show.They, like all 1892's , are a beautiful movement.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008