WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ebauche or private lable watches, marked Evansville, IN? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I am into clocks, not watches, so I was trying to figure out about a watch that may have been marked made in Evansville, IN. I found several listings in the city directories and ads in newspapers from the 1850s to 1880s for a P L Geissler watch shop. I have copied below the two listings that mention that a watch was marked with this store name on it. I was looking through the new watch price guide, and I am still confused about what this watch may have been. The first ad is from 1874, and it says that the watches were "manufactured exclusively to our order". The next one is from 1876, and it says "manufacturer of Geissler watches".

I am trying to figure out if these would have been the eubache type watch I read about in the book. I understand that to be unfinished watch parts imported from Switzerland, and finished by local watch makers. Is that correct? Or would these have been private label watches where a large watchmaker actually made the watch, but put the store's name on it. The one ad makes it sound as if the watch shop actually made it themself. I guess I am just not understanding the ebauche watches, what they were exactly, and if either or both could have been marked with this watch shop's name.

Andy.

1874 P L Geissler advertisement

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is the directory listing from 1876. Sorry about the huge size of these pictures. I don't know how to reduce them.

1876 Evansville directory listing

posted
Andy,

I resized your pictures for you. Wink

Phil

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is a Hamilton grade 974 marked for a watchmaker or jeweler in Evansville, Indiana. Andy discovered that this gentleman married into the Geissler family, which he is researching.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
One I found from this same jeweler/watchmaker here in Evansville, IN. It is a Longines 15 J marked JM Boner on the movement.

Andy

J M Boner Longines

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Movement of Longines signed J M Boner.

J M Boner Longines movement

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Maybe kind of morbid, but here is John M. Boner's grave.

Grave of watchmaker J M Boner

posted
I have wondered how to pronounce "Eubache" for some time now. Is it A-bosch? E-bosch or ?? New on Chap185 site, Art

Posts: 29 | Location: Pulaski, New York U.S.A. | Registered: March 15, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Art,

Welcome to our Discussions! You'll find this a very friendly group.

I always heard "ebauche" pronounced as if it were "E-bosch" but in Shugarts "Complete Guide to Watches" the following pronunciation and definition appears on page 1,143 0f the current 2004 Edition...

EBAUCHE (ay-boesh)

A movement not completely finished or in the rough; not detailed; a raw movement; a movement made up of two plates, train, barrel and does not include a dial, case or escapement.

So not not only do we need to brush up on our pronunciation but sharpen our definition as well. Of course we learn something new every day, often I learn several.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lin, Thank you for the Dictionary definition. How about taking a stab at pronouncing AY- Boesh. Is it long "a" as in saying the letter 'a', and Bosh or bow-e-shhh. No doubt the French pronounciation is with some missing letters, but which ones??

Posts: 29 | Location: Pulaski, New York U.S.A. | Registered: March 15, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I found another Longines watch marked for JM Boner. This one is about a 12 size I think.

Andy

JMBonerMvts

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
12 size Mvt.

12JMBoner

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Dials for JM Boner watches, 12 and 16 size, I think.

Andy

JM Boner Dials

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Swiss made watch with P.L. Geissler, Evansville markings on it.

1879 Advertisement from Evansville:

Business card attached to back of a clock, circa 1855:

Andy