• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Being new to pocket watch repair I recently got into my first Hampden, no 300, 12s and found something new inside. There is a small, blued s shaped piece that has a small round stem that goes thru the plate and has a saw curf or screwdriver slot in it. Looking at the back of the plate it is located to the left of the winding stem just above the third wheel. What the dickens is this thing and what is its function? There don'the seem to be a lot of info on Hampden parts in the Saget cat.

Lefpanhorf

Posts: 6 | Location: Ohio in the USA | Registered: January 05, 2019
IHC Member 1650
posted
Does it look like a screw head from the top plate side? I'm guessing it's purpose is to put the watch in winding mode when the movement is out of the case. It's easier to wind with a bench key in this mode, plus it removes the drag of the setting mechanism while adjusting the watch.

Posts: 372 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
posted
Michael - Does the part you are referencing match #7232 from this Hampden Material Catalog?

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
posted
Thanks Douglas I'll let you know if it is when I get it back together.

Lefpanhorf

posted
Nathan, it looks like part# 7232. Where can a body get his hands on that parts catalog? Thanks

Lefpanhorf

posted
Michael - This page has the 1915 and 1923 Hampden Material Catalogs available:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.co...any/hampden/catalogs

Here is the "Cams" section from the 1915 catalog:
https://pocketwatchdatabase.co...al-catalog-c.1915/33

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Nathan, great info. that should help a lot of people.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002