Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Keystone dial material "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I have a Keystone dustproof (18s #331607). I am trying to figure out what the dial is made of. It appears to be some type of plastic with a faux woodgrain. The dial is marked Keystone Watch Co. Patented (it is there, the paint has worn away).

The dial sits in a small dial holder (snap in).

Was this a cheap form of malamine or an experiment? any insight would be appreciated.

Sorry about the picture quality, my kodak doubles as a door stop Smile

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Bruce,

These are interesting.. I had one and believe that they were made of some sort of Resin.. Like plastic, with painted numerals.. Mine had a train coming straight at you on the dial..I have heard they are real hard to find in good condition as the paint faded easily..I have only seen 2 others and they were both marginal.. Yours appears pretty good..Looks like some fading of minute marks and second bit numeral's ????

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
John,
What is funny about this dial is that it is starting to warp. I had to lift the sweep hand up a bit to keep it from hitting the seconds bit.. You are correct on the fading. There are alot of fingerprint smudges on it but I am affraid to clean it for fear of removing more of the paint..

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
I believe that this is :

celluloid

(noun) 1 : a tough flammable thermoplastic composed essentially of cellulose nitrate and camphor.

posted
Bruce,

No cracks or chips...just warping Eek Big Grin I did not clean the one I had either..
I would leave it alone, as I am quite sure you will not find these dials very often..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002