Internet Horology Club 185
Keystone dial material

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/5911016851

August 12, 2005, 21:45
Bruce Byrd
Keystone dial material
I have a Keystone dustproof (18s #331607). I am trying to figure out what the dial is made of. It appears to be some type of plastic with a faux woodgrain. The dial is marked Keystone Watch Co. Patented (it is there, the paint has worn away).

The dial sits in a small dial holder (snap in).

Was this a cheap form of malamine or an experiment? any insight would be appreciated.

Sorry about the picture quality, my kodak doubles as a door stop Smile

Bruce Byrd
August 12, 2005, 22:06
John Pavlik
Bruce,

These are interesting.. I had one and believe that they were made of some sort of Resin.. Like plastic, with painted numerals.. Mine had a train coming straight at you on the dial..I have heard they are real hard to find in good condition as the paint faded easily..I have only seen 2 others and they were both marginal.. Yours appears pretty good..Looks like some fading of minute marks and second bit numeral's ????
August 12, 2005, 23:03
Bruce Byrd
John,
What is funny about this dial is that it is starting to warp. I had to lift the sweep hand up a bit to keep it from hitting the seconds bit.. You are correct on the fading. There are alot of fingerprint smudges on it but I am affraid to clean it for fear of removing more of the paint..

Bruce Byrd
August 13, 2005, 05:52
Jim Hanie
I believe that this is :

celluloid

(noun) 1 : a tough flammable thermoplastic composed essentially of cellulose nitrate and camphor.
August 13, 2005, 10:32
John Pavlik
Bruce,

No cracks or chips...just warping Eek Big Grin I did not clean the one I had either..
I would leave it alone, as I am quite sure you will not find these dials very often..