Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Colonial Watch Size "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Have a small Waltham pocket watch, S/N 30504734, marked on the movement Waltham Premier Colonial, setting P S, and the pillar plate measures 39.60mm approx. The Ehrhardt Waltham pocket watch guide list the size as COL, was wondering why they might have used this size designation? Also wonder what the letters P S indicate in the setting? Thanks for any information.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Wayne,
The Waltham Colonial series movements will not fit into a standard 12 size case. The "Col" designation alerts collectors that a special case sized for these movements is required. The "PS" indicates that the movement is pendant set, as opposed to lever, pin or nail set.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Photo of the Waltham. I thought it was unusal to have Nine Jewels.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Ed, you sure are right when you say...

"The Waltham Colonial series movements will not fit into a standard 12 size case"

Why that rascal measures EIGHT INCHES IN DIAMETER on my screen! Talk about your "OVERSIZE" 12-sizes!

But seriously I'm pleased to see these heretofore underrated 12-size watches being discussed in our forums. For the last couple years I've been increasingly interested in the various 12-size watches and I see them as the next wave of Horological Collectibles.

As an example barely two years ago I bought a Hamilton Masterpiece in an 18K stiff-bow case for under a thousand dollars. Try that today!

There are a lot of really great 12-size watches with all the quality and prestige of their bigger brothers, and then some!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have one Waltham Colonial with a metal dial, and the second one (S/N 30482354) was found with an enamal dial - wonder what type is correct for Nine Jewel, Grade No. 209 N.S.?

Dial

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
I would defer judgement to Ed or a Waltham expert, but my belief is that any dial that would have been available at the time of manufacture and fit the movement could have originally come on your watch.

That's the criteria that I have been using. When in doubt my source is period advertising and other such materials.

With a leaning to porcelain of course!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Wayne, your watch is fairly late and would have had a metal dial. It is a 1924 model Colonial, also known as a Colonial B. The enamel dial you show looks like one for the Colonial Series watches (different model) and would probably not fit your movement (the dial feet might be OK but the diameter would be wrong). [On the other hand, you might have a standard 12-size enamel dial there, which might fit but would not be appropriate.]

I would be happy to answer any other questions on these watches.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
I think the 9-jewel movements are not that uncommon, my Dad and Granddad each bought one in the 1938-1940 era, by mail order from Spiegel or Montgomery Ward, 16-size pockets in base metal cases. I also have a 9-jewel Waltham wrist watch. The wristie is marked Waltham Premier 750, nine jewels.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002