Tools
Reply to Post

Filled engraving on movements "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Hey all,

I am curious. Many movements, Illinois in particular, have black, red, or gold filled engraving on the movements. How is that done and can it be redone after it has worn away?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have EXACTLY the same question. Lindell, please hop in your time machine and go back to Illinois and find out how they filled those engravings. Puleeeze?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I thought I would add my two cents, for the black letters I have used a Sharpie marker. I just fill in the letters or numbers & the area around it & then immediately wipe it off with a cloth & it stays in the writting but comes off everything else.

Now I have to warn you, this works for me & I have never had it stay on the movement or pattern on the movement but try it at your own risk.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Car paint is very tough and comes in quite a few colors. Nail polish enamel is not quite as tough but comes in an amazing shade of colors. There are a few of the opaque red colors that can successfully be used to refill in the red numbers on the 19j Ball specials. You can get good results with a marker but they don't last that long and to a trained eye it looks wrong.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Frank,

Where do you find that paint at? Auto parts store? Car dealer? Does it stand up to cleaning?

Thanks,

Steve

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Yes, you should be able to find it at an auto parts store. It stands up to cleaning.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
This is my 23 jewel 60 Hour after refilling the engraving using Testors Black Enamel Modeling paint. The lettering was completely washed out except for a small section of the underline under Bunn Special. I found it works best to do a section at a time and dab with a small paintbrush, just enough to fill in. Then wait a minute (literally) and begin scraping off the excess with a tootpick. Keep a box on hand because they work best when they are clean. I can't believe the picture came out so good. Anyway, this worked for me and the paint cost $1.37 at the drug store. I did about 15 movements in about 2 hours.

Steve