Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Correctness for an 1886 Hampden "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Picked up an 18s Hampden model 3 grade 55 that needs a good clean, but is running. It has a later 1900's style case which I'll change to a period correct one. The dial is also later style. So my questions are. Will a Dueber triple-hinge coin case be correct? Or back then did Hampden not really come with Dueber cases? Secondly I have a dial that I'd like to use on this 1886 movement is it correct enough?

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Heres the front showing the dial as is.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Heres the dial I'd like to use from a non-working 1892 movement along with the moon hands.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
And here is the case I'd like to use. I have since replaced the crystal with a thicker bevelled edge. Will all of this be a better match for the era?
Thank you all, Roland.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Same Dueber case showing the triple-hinge.

R. Glenn

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
quote:
Will a Dueber triple-hinge coin case be correct?YES Or back then did Hampden not really come with Dueber cases? BACK THEN THAT IS HOW DEUBER GOT SO INTERESTED IN HAMPDEN, THEY WERE A GOOD CUSTOMER. Secondly I have a dial that I'd like to use on this 1886 movement is it correct enough?YES, BUT THE HANDS ARE MORE LIKELY CORRECT TO WHAT YOU HAVE NOW.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Roland, I think you have the right idea, that dial would be about right for it.Your watch has the Tucker regulator, which is less common than the Teske reg. which were on a lot of Hampdens.Looks like the Roman dial has a long hairline down thru the center.If you're interested, I have one like yours in better shape, or a true double sunk Roman dial off an early OF Hampden, maybe we could make a trade.I could use a later style like yours.Not all 18S Hampdens, especially the Springfield ones were in Dueber cases.I think (but may be wrong) that a case for a watch that old would have had a stem retaining screw in the neck below the crown, instead of a screw-in sleeve/stem combination.Looks like a nice watch you have there!...Ted

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Just as an added point, John Deuber bought controlling interest in Hampden in 1886.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Dave, so switch the case, and the dial, but keep the light spade hands?
Thank you, Roland.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Theodore, the roman dial has no hairlines, just a slight nibble at the seconds hole, which I'll cover with a different seconds hand, so should be fine. Thanks for the offer though.

Roland.

R. Glenn

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Roland, you can take a look at my Great Uncle's 1890 John C. Dueber (Hampden) 18 size in this thread:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...971062532#9971062532

Everything on my watch is original to the watch. Nothing has been changed since he purchased the watch in 1890, and it's been in the family all this time.

As you can see, it has the moon hands like your second watch.

I guess what I'm trying to say is based on what I personally own, the combination of what you propose would have comparibles to my existing watch, that being they came that way from Hampden when they were brand new.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Thanks Mark for the info and link to that prior posting. Nice watch for sure.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Well I've switched bits and here's the finished pocket watch. Unfortunately I wasn't able to use the Dueber case as the winding stem wasn't long enough to be able to wind the movement. So I've used a Fahys Oresilver case with a thick crystal with a patent date of 1884, so that should work with a movement from 1886. What do you think?
Thank you, Roland.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Heres the movement in this case. The screws line up very close to previous Illinois that was in this case.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Has a smooth back.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Here's the case markings.

R. Glenn

IHC Member 1110
posted
Looking good, Roland...Those gilt movements do look better in silvroid/silver cases!...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Thank you Ted. I have a few Gilt oldies and since they were a cheaper grade back then, it seems only fitting to have them in either a coin case or the like.
Thx again, Roland.

R. Glenn