WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this correct placement of watch parts on movement? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Is it possible for a center wheel to be sitting on top of rochet wheel and crown wheel and actually work? Doesn't look right and yet seller said watch is working. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. I really don't claim much knowledge regarding watch movements.

Take a look. Need your input please!

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
It shorely looks like the wheel sitting on top of the Hamilton 3992b, navigation master in the photogallery, but bigger, doesn´t it? What is that wheel for? Have seen similar on sertain grades of Omega wristwatches and others.

Bernhard "the swede"

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
Bernhard,
I checked out the 3992b in our Photo Gallery. Yes, somewhat similar, odd. Thanks!

Do others have any input on the movement in question as well?

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
Is it a center-seconds movement?

Stu

Posts: 355 | Location: Northern Idaho in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 26, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It appears that this must be a watch with a center sweep second hand. The center sweep arbor passes through a hollow center wheel arbor. The small pinion at the end of the sweep-hand arbor is held in tension by the small flat spring visible in the center. The pinion is being driven by the large visible gear that is friction fit on the extended arbor of the third wheel.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Stu & Jerry,
Yes, the dial has a center sweep second hand.

Jerry,
Then the wheel in question does make sense and is correct right?
How unusual are these movements? Do you see them often? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
***** Member 143979

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Steph,

The picture you posted appears to be an 8/0 size movement. I have seen them described as nun's pocket watches and the same movement was also used for wrist watches around WWII.

Attached is a picture of my Elgin "Doctor's Watch". It was the first Elgin to use a center sweep seconds hand. Grades 83, 84 & 89 were made of this model in the late 1800's. Elgin also used this design on smaller movement grades 532, 539, 647, 685 and the WWII era 21/22J GCT pocket watch. Other watch companies have used designs similar to this.

Altough collectible, I would not consider any of these grades as rare.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Thanks John.
I've not heard of an 8/0 size movement.
Earlier, I was able to pull up comparible watches and discovered they are indeed nun's pocket watches.

Thanks for the info on center sweep second hand pocket watches!

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979