• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Second hand issues "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Second hand is turning but then stops, I've bent the hands upwards in case the face of watch may be warped. Can I squeze the bottom of the second hand that goes into post Please Help
Rick

Americo Rizzuti

Posts: 46 | Location: Connecticut in the USA | Registered: January 09, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Americo,

You can close the pipe, but it is a delicate operation. If you have a staking set you would use a tapered stake to close the end slightly. If you have a pliers with a small U groove on both sides that makes a circle when closed that fits around the pipe that will work too. You could also make this tool with a cheap pair of pliers and drilling to the size you need. If you try to just squeeze it closed you will almost certainly crush the pipe.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Thank You Roger
Rick Smile

Americo Rizzuti

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
There is a tread that says how to tighten with a lathe that I think would work great. The way I have done in the past is to take a set of finger nail clippers and a round small file. and file a round hole in them. That way when you pinch down on the finger nail clipper it does not pinch it completely shut. Or clip off the end of the pipe.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
I watched as a watchmaker fixed a loose second hand for me. He got a drill bit that was slightly smaller than the hole and placed the shank into the pipe to keep from crushing it. He then gave the pipe a little squeeze with a small pair of pliers and pressed it onto the shaft.

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I do the same with a micro broach as I can then re-fit it to a "sliding fit".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks again to everyone
never knew pocket watches would take up most of my free time like it has. Luckly there is a place like this, with so much help Smile
Rick

Americo Rizzuti

IHC Member 1110
posted
I once snugged up a loose second hand by putting the tube in a pin vice , and tightening it just a little.I know that's probably not the right way to do it, but it did work fine.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008