Internet Horology Club 185
Second hand issues

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/5303978267

June 13, 2011, 16:48
Americo (Rick) Rizzuti
Second hand issues
Second hand is turning but then stops, I've bent the hands upwards in case the face of watch may be warped. Can I squeze the bottom of the second hand that goes into post Please Help
Rick

Americo Rizzuti
June 13, 2011, 17:02
Roger J. Nolfe
Americo,

You can close the pipe, but it is a delicate operation. If you have a staking set you would use a tapered stake to close the end slightly. If you have a pliers with a small U groove on both sides that makes a circle when closed that fits around the pipe that will work too. You could also make this tool with a cheap pair of pliers and drilling to the size you need. If you try to just squeeze it closed you will almost certainly crush the pipe.
June 13, 2011, 19:09
Americo (Rick) Rizzuti
Thank You Roger
Rick Smile

Americo Rizzuti
June 13, 2011, 19:48
Eugene Buffard
There is a tread that says how to tighten with a lathe that I think would work great. The way I have done in the past is to take a set of finger nail clippers and a round small file. and file a round hole in them. That way when you pinch down on the finger nail clipper it does not pinch it completely shut. Or clip off the end of the pipe.
June 13, 2011, 23:08
Christopher Darwin
I watched as a watchmaker fixed a loose second hand for me. He got a drill bit that was slightly smaller than the hole and placed the shank into the pipe to keep from crushing it. He then gave the pipe a little squeeze with a small pair of pliers and pressed it onto the shaft.
June 14, 2011, 01:04
David Abbe
I do the same with a micro broach as I can then re-fit it to a "sliding fit".
June 14, 2011, 11:58
Americo (Rick) Rizzuti
Thanks again to everyone
never knew pocket watches would take up most of my free time like it has. Luckly there is a place like this, with so much help Smile
Rick

Americo Rizzuti
June 14, 2011, 19:18
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
I once snugged up a loose second hand by putting the tube in a pin vice , and tightening it just a little.I know that's probably not the right way to do it, but it did work fine.