• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Request for Rockford Serial Numbers from 1-543,000 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1650
posted
Here's 199212. I like the visible escapement.

Posts: 369 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1650
posted
199212 Dial

Posts: 369 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Excellent Douglas a very nice piece, thank you for the pictures and serial, I have a soft-spot for these as wellSmile

Posts: 2258 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Hello Bila,

I assume that you're still compiling the early Rockford serial numbers so I can contribute a sum total of one! My 18 size Rockford is serial #146714 and is KW/KS. It is a 9 jewel movement with a private label dial: Marshall Bros in Rutland VT. I have recently torn it down and was delighted with what good condition it is in. It is now back together and after a clean and new mainspring it is running like a champ.
This watch and what it is described as in the Pocket Watch Database are not even close as you can see if you look it up. I commend you in your efforts to build a new database so that future collectors can be well informed!

Kind regards,

Don

Don Warrener

Posts: 18 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba in Canada | Registered: December 23, 2019
posted
Picture #2 under dial

Don Warrener

Posts: 18 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba in Canada | Registered: December 23, 2019
posted
Picture #3 Private dial

Don Warrener

IHC Life Member
posted
Don,
Here's the photos a bit larger.
It's amazing how well these run for a low jewel count, 140 year old watch!!

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Member 1555
posted
Sorry everyone, been flat chat for the last month or so, a nice pick-up Donald, although only 9 jewel they are great watches.

The Marshall Bros of Rutland Vermont also traded as "Marshall the Jeweler" before they become the entity with the Brothers on the end. They were also appointed in 1880 as Sole Agents for the Rockford Watch Co in their area.

Thank you for the encouragement with the database Donald, the job is beginning to be a massive undertaking. It has been expanded out to the 500,000 serial mark so it takes in some of the Rockford up-jeweled watches which were produced during the receiver phase of the first iteration of the CompanySmile

The Grade & Parts list that was released by the new Entity the "Rockford Watch Co Ltd" enterprise around 1909 has many errors after looking at the watches and large serial number base that we are slowly forming, this is my opinion based on the data so far.

Due to these errors in sections of this later published factory list, a large chunk of the early & contemporary research has a lot of errors relating to the earlier production due to the rehashing of the same incorrect data.

This also can be seen by having a look at some of the later internet sites and other watch forums with Rockford info, near word for word of the same mistakes in the data.

These errors have been perpetuated time & time again by others until it has become gospel in the collecting circles, hopefully this new research will rectify some of those early errors, if in-grained believes can be changed, but this can sometimes be an impossible taskFrown

posted
Steve, thanks for upsizing the photos. I tried downloading a slightly larger version but it was too much for the post to be sent. To your point, this watch was a great surprise for me when I finally got a few glitches taken care of. The pin holding the hairspring in place was MIA so I had to play around finding an acceptable position. So far, the 140 year old is running like a youngster!

Bila, thanks for a bit of background to the private label! I picked this up a while ago because I wanted to add a couple of KW/KS to my modest collection. I'm kind of growing fond of some of these old classics and quite impressed with the sturdy build.
Keep up the good work with your undertaking!

Don

Don Warrener

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Donald, we are also putting together Agents lists and historical content on the Company around some of the data to give a better prospective of the why's and where's, so in time keep your eyes peeled for it.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Just thought we would let everyone know that we are now collecting serial numbers up to Serial#500,001Smile

posted
Hello Bila

Ser# 336 889 circa 1889
18 size, gilt, full plate, Hunter model
11 jewel
stem wind, 3 o'clock position, lever set
2 case crews about 9 & 4 position, all screws are blue

Regards
Rick

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
IHC Member 1555
posted
Cheers Rick, could you let me know if a Single Sunk dial (it should be) or a double sunk one, as we are also collecting those details as well now.

As well as any private label info if it is one and if so, is it marked on both movement and dial, or just one or the other, thanks again for the contributionSmile

IHC Life Member
posted
Bila,
Here's one I had a while ago:
18s Rockford open face, 15 jewel, Stem wind and lever set. Single sunk dial, Serial # 255536
Model 7 ,Grade 89 , made 1888?

IHC Member 1555
posted
Cheers SteveSmile

posted
Hi Bila
The dial is a single sunk private label, F. H. Nettleton, Colingwood Ont
and marked on the dial only.
The dial is the same as in Steven's photo above.

Regards
Rick

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
IHC Member 1555
posted
Excellent, Thanks Rick.

IHC Life Member
posted
One more for your list, Bila. Serial number 151152

Model 1 Key wind and set. 9 Jewel, One case screw, Pined on dial.

IHC Life Member
posted
And another: Serial number 160436, model 2, Key wind, lever set, 11 jewel, (no jewels on front plate), two case screws.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks SteveSmile

IHC Life Member
posted
Here's a couple model 5s:
First a gilt 15 jewel partial movement Serial # 35110. Key wind, Key set.

IHC Life Member
posted
Next a 15 jewel nickel movement serial # 150095.
also only a partial movement.
This one key wind or pendant wind, lever set.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Great Steve Thank YouSmile Just a question, is there anything left of the back plate on that gilt 15 jewel movement at all?

IHC Life Member
posted
No, it's completely gone. Since the front plate has 4 jewels it must have been 15 jewels.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Yes Steve you are right, I just wanted to check to see if the back plate was marked "Adjusted, buy seeing it is not there we will never know, Thanks againSmile

IHC Life Member
posted
Here's 2 more for the list:
Serial # 142900 , model 3, 15 jewel Key or pendant wind, Lever set. No dial with this bunch of parts.

IHC Life Member
posted
Next is a Key wind and set Model 1, 7 jewel, serial # 46476.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Steve for those, just for your info and record that first one #142900 is a Model 2 not a 3, CheersSmile

IHC Life Member
posted
One more parts watch I found:
Serial # 148370 9 jewel, two case screws. Key or stem wind, Lever set. It is also a model 2 , Correct, Bila?

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Steve and yes it is a Model 2, cheersSmile

IHC Member 2030
posted
Good stuff !
Rockford is a favorite
Thanks for posting here

Posts: 1113 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks, Mike!
Bila, here's another:
Serial # 33536 - Database says Model 1. someone made extra case screw hole and cut off part of the adjusted marking.
15 jewel, Adjusted, Key and pendant wind.
Key and lever set. Early style lever set mechanism. Rockford type 1 regulator.
Nice chip and crack free dial and Open Morning Glory hands.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Steve, that is a Model 2, meant to have the 2 case screw holes just looks like someone decided to butcher them. As for the "adjusted" marking it appears to be not factory IMHO as I have never seen one marked in that style on a Model 2 before, although with Rockford's you just never know what you will findSmile