Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Melamine dials aren't as fragile as I thought.. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
This is a beautiful example of one of the later chalky melamine dials which had scuffs or stains under the 2:00 and 8:00. I had thought that these dials were nearly unfixable. Well, to my suprise, they're not. I didn't use polish, but I did fog the dial a little with my breath and wiped over and over in the affected areas. I repeated this method several times. To my pleasant suprise, the scuffs disappeared. I now know that these dials can be cleaned up, and are not as fragile as I thought. Thanks Lin for your advice and help. Smile
Believe me, this dial now looks great, and it's on a great watch.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

"All's well that ends well"...
comes to mind in this story!

Glad it has a happy ending.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Larry,

Is that an original melamine dial, or a later painted-metal reproduction? It's difficult to tell from just the image, but to me, it looks more like the latter than the former.

Original melamine dials are black on the back, while most painted-metal reproductions are bright brass. There are obviously other differences as well, but that's the most apparent one that readily comes to mind.

==================

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Steve, it's 100% original. Black back and all. Smile

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Cool.........

It's often difficult to tell about images viewed on a monitor. Colors and contrast can make things appear one way, when in fact, they are not that way at all......

==========

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002