Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pre 1924 992's "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1508
posted
Hey all. I was wondering what case, dial, and hand combinations were available on the early Hamilton 992's. I believe that they were sold to jewelers uncased, but I could be wrong. But even if they were, I know they would have come with dials and hands. I know someone who is trying to restore a 1913 model. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
As to the dial and hands for a 1913 992 first it needs to be determined if the dial has three or four feet. The #436 and #581 signed Hamilton in script are correct. A proper set of hands would both be heavy spade. There's probably many more combinations but this would make a non-argumentative example.
RR

Heavy Arabic #436 on the left and Heavy Aribic Numerical #581 on the right

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Here's some other dials that were used on the 992. Around 1918 Hamilton started changing their signature to block letters. The Heavy Spade hands are shown on the center illustration of the #581 dial.
RR

Hamilton dials used on the 992 grade

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1508
posted
Thanks Richard. And since these were sold un cased, I would assume that just about anything from that time period would do? Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
posted
You're welcome Brad,
It's always best to find a case where the movement case marks will match and yes a time period correct case would be nice. Pendants went from earlier being longer to shorter ones.
RR

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hello,
I'm the member Brad is talking about. I have a 1913 992. It has the wrong type case and from what I understand it should have a long stem and not a short stem or basically no stem as it now has.

I also need to find new hands. There is a set on Ebay from a 992B. Do they use the same hands? The hands that are on it now I think are referred to as "New Moon" type hands.

And lastly the dial is correct a 436 according to the picture above however it is badly hairlined and a large chip at the two o'clock position. I will repair and clean it but I have found another dial similar to the ad above in the upper right hand corner. That dial appears to be single sunk where the rest seem to be double sunk. The dial I have found is double sunk but the rest of the dial looks identical to the upper right hand dial in the image. I know I could use it but would it be correct? My dial has 3 feet also.

Thank you for any input you wish to give me. Thank you,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Does anyone know if this dial would be correct on a 1913 992 movement?
Thank you,
Harry

16s dial

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Absolutely!

In fact that is the Hamilton Script Signature phased-in by the 1905-06 period and then phased out, as Richard Romero explained above, in favor of a simple "Hamiltion" in block letters during the 1918-1920 timeframe.

That is one of several styles that would have been available in the 1913 period.

And to your other question, generally speaking, the hands that most of us tend to want for a 1913 era 992 are the style shown in the center of Richard's September 25th post above in this topic.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you once again Lindell,

That is good news because I just bought it earlier tonight. I could not see any hairlines but the seller said it had some light hairlines.

Now I get to put the stuff I just read about cleaning dials to practice. WooHoo! I need to find the hands though. I've got several types of hands but not those. Do you know if anyone in the club sells or trades those hands?

Thanks again,
Harry

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Harry,

The hands you describe as "moon" are likely one of the styles that could have come with the dial you just purchased. If they are correctly matched you might want to retain them, the correct term for "moon" hands is "Breguet" and those are "Breguet-Style" numerals on that dial, together they make a nice looking combination.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Lindell,

I will listen to the master and take your advise. I have learned so much in the last few days. I was one of those people who thought I have a 992 I'll just put a deal and hands on it and put it is a case and I'm done. It is nice to know that the dial, even though chipped and hairlined and the hands are correct. Now that leaves the case.

I have found some information the last couple of days that leads my to believe the case is an unmarked military case that my 1913 992 is in. It is a base metal Keystone case with a screw on front and rear cover. Inside the rear cover is a press on dust cover. I will try once more to download the photos. Do you think since the 992's were case at the jeweler that this was a way to hold down the cost back in 1913?

Thanks,
Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Could not get pictures to upload. I have re sized them and will try again.

Military Case?

IHC Member 1610
posted
This is the back.

Back.

posted
Harry,

this photo shows a 1912 940 in a Royal 20-year case that is (as far as I know) an original combination. It's not a perfect match to your situation - the 940 is an 18-size watch - but there are very similar 16-size cases listed on that rather well known auction site, in both gold filled and silverode.

Posts: 40 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2010
IHC Member 1610
posted
Back with dust cover attached.

Dust cover

IHC Member 1610
posted
And script inside rear cover.

Marking inside rear cover.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you John,

I have both here that need cleaning up and new crystals. So do you think that the 1913 came in both silverloid and of course gold plated or filled? And can you confirm that this is a military case. I saw a military Hamilton on the Bay with the exact same case only it had inscription stamped or engraved on the back.
Thanks,
Harry

posted
That does look like a case that was provided on some military contracts, but that doesn't mean this particular case was, as the same model might have been sold commercially.

As to your earlier question about case choices, a railroad-grade watch was an expensive purchase, and a new employee might well have wanted to keep his initial purchase price to a minimum. Jewelry stores did a lot of trade-in business back then, so the man who bought a Silverode-cased watch one year might trade in that case for a gold filled one as his bank balance improved. The jeweler would then probably resell the case to another new railroader.

Posts: 40 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2010
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you John you have been very helpful. I will dig out some of my old cases to see which one fits that period.

Also do you think I would be correct to list this case on Ebay as a Military Watch? I would not want to mislead anyone and I have no intention on collecting military versions.
Thank you,
Harry