• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Official Railroad Standard Watch Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have owned a Ball Railroad Standard 18s watxh for about 6 months now. I've had it serviced and it keeps + or - 2 seconds a day time. It is open face, with a glass crystal, gold filled, and a Ball Case. According to the serial number: 669452, it was of Hampden [Correction: Hamilton] manufacture, around 1895. I cherish this piece, love to carry it, and look at the clean and beautiful engraving on the back of an "American Locomotive, pulling 2+ cars. It is very detailed. The watch is in pristine condition. Anyone have any advice for me?

JL

Posts: 7 | Location: Oregon in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2013
posted
quote:
Anyone have any advice for me?

Hi James,
Always make sure to have it on a chain if you use it. Dropping it would be a disaster.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
James,

Welcome aboard IHC185! A couple of things. First, are you sure your watch is a Ball-Hampden? Perhaps you could post a picture.

I have a Ball watch with a movement number close to yours (669496) and it is a 19-jewel Ball-Hamilton with a Ferguson dial & hands (see photo).

Another thing, if your watch is truly pristine (uncarried), you are destroying its value by carrying it. It doesn't take long to get visible signs of wear, which would cause a big loss in value relative to an "uncarried" example.

Ball-Hamiton Movement #669496

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted

Movement Number

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
James

Would love to see a pic of the movement and dial!

Ed is probably correct, but I wear all of my watches. I rotate them every other week or so.

Perhaps if you wore a vest with a watch pocket, you will find that it is less wearing on the case.

Not sure that I have ever seen a ball model case with a choo choo engine engraving.

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
First, I apologize for the typos [corrected] on my first post here! Thank you all for your responses. I'm new to the watch collecting scene. I now regret saying my Ball was pristine, now that I review the pictures I have on file. I would love to hear from all you folks about what I've got here.

JL

posted
Ball 669452 movement...

posted
Case Markings...

posted
Case Back...

posted
Dial looks pretty nice to me. Shouldn't hurt it much to carry!

It must be a Ball Hamilton. Case looks great.

Congrats, its a nice fun watch to have

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Bill, I'm shopping for a vest now, and I also appreciate the comfort offered by my bib overalls with the traditional watch carrying pocket and chain. I may look funny, but I'm sure relaxed carrying all my watches (15). I'm 62, so I guess forsaking fashion is OK.

JL

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
That's very nice 19-jewel Ball-Hamilton James, it's entirely correct and is from the same production run as the example I posted, but your case has a cool choo-choo on the back and has much less wear on it than mine.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1110
posted
James, very nice Hamilton Ball.When you carry it, be sure to make a leather bow protector for your chain clasp, it'll stop it from wearing and scratching the bow.Many collectors would give up body parts to have that one! Welcome aboard, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Thank you Ted. I cherish all of my collection. And, I've got a fair amount of money invested in it.

JL

posted
JL

If you browse the site, you will see that we have shown most of the ones we are proudest of.

Sort of a way to suggest:

"Show us yours and we'll show you ours!"

Love to see pics of other collections.

happy hunting

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Here's what Bill suggested you might enjoy studying:

Ball-Howard, 1890s Beauty

Early Ball-Hamilton 18-size Images

Ball-Elgin (all were 18-size) Images

Later Ball-Hamilton 18-size Images

Enjoy all the information at IHC185™ and consider joining us and supporting this venture!

Dues is only $12.00 a year and the benefits are many!

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/frm/f/1386019371

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005