Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden finished movements under 58,000 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Rick or anyone else for that matter that can tell me how to find out which grade a private label New York Watch Co. #54028 11 or 15j (finished by Hampden I believe). P. Murbach of Elyria, Ohio.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Hi Harry,

It's a Woolworth (or corresponding numbered grade). 15 jewels, unadjusted.
Finished by Hampden

Listed in inventory in 1875 as a Woolworth. Which is interesting because of the jewel settings. 54001-54200 is the run, I have one other observation and it is marked Woolworth, adjusted on the movement and has a Hampden dial.

Lucky you! I'm glad you got that. Watching the auction end and not being able to bid on it was heartbreaking, haha! Glad it went to you!

I really like that watch. The Hampden cut out balance cocks are not as common as other companies it seems.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
posted
A great history on John Murbach

http://www.buildwithbrick.com/history/

According to an account written by his son, John opened his first store in Amherst Ohio in 1872, and sold it and moved back to Elyria in 76. (Found on ancestry). If you have an ancestry account definitely look him up, there are photos and paper clippings. Good stuff.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Rick!. That was an interesting read. I do not have an ancestry account so I can't look him up.
I am usually not in to PL's but I liked the exposed balance. I have one other Hampden with the same exposed balance but it is gold flashed and is a Menlo Park.
I also got the Independant Lake Shore Fred was selling as a Fredonia also finished by Hampden.

They both run very well.

Harry

posted
Wow! You got both of em, you had a great weekend!

IHC Member 1610
posted
Yep I got lucky...