Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bunn Special Dial (Feel free to laugh at mine) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2264
posted
Good evening.
I have a 16 size 21 jewel 60 Hour Bunn Special. Serial : 4746377 (1926) Model 14 Type I
The case seems correct, Wadsworth 7007030. Inscribed Bunn Special, MODEL (No model number, is this normal) 14k Gold filled Wadsworth quality, Pats Pendg. Case sections all match
I have been told that the dial is not the original dial. It is a fake painted metal dial.
I have looked through this forum but am still not sure what dial I should be looking for so I'd like a definitive answer please.
Hopefully my picture of the fake dial will upload correctly so that you can all have a good chuckle.
Regards ..... Gary

Fake Dial

Posts: 31 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: August 12, 2018
IHC Member 1911
posted
Gary
Yes you have a 1st Model Bunn Special case- those had no model # inside- you also have a replacement non-factory dial- About any Bunn Special dial with the arched " Illinois " would be appropriate for your watch- I'll try and send some pics of the dials that would be correct.

Terry

Posts: 84 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 12, 2013
IHC Member 2264
posted
Thanks for the reply Terry.
I've seen a lot of Bunn Special dials here, some more elaborate than others. But I would like to see if I can find an original dial that fits the watch timeline.
I know that this will be a shock to most of you, but I do actually like the fake dial. It's rubbish if you get too close but OK from a distance. Not original though!

Regards ..... Gary.

Dial

Posts: 31 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: August 12, 2018
IHC Member 2264
posted
I've been looking at the bay for Illinois Bunn Special dials & just found this one for sale.
It's a metal dial identical to the one fitted to my watch.
The numbers etc are all much clearer & better defined than my watch dial, but does this mean that my watch could originally have a metal Montgomery style dial ?
Regards ..... Gary

Dial

IHC Member 1555
posted
No Gary, not a metal replacement of any typeSmile

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 2264
posted
Thanks BW, Thought that was too good to be true. Confused
Regards ..... Gary

IHC Member 2084
posted
Gary,the correct dial for your movement is on ebay.it has 5 days left I think.fred Hansen has it for sale.

Posts: 47 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2015
IHC Member 2264
posted
Thanks Keith,
I think I'm watching that dial.
I feel a bit stupid really, because looking through my books I found a copy of Bill Meggers & Roy Ehrhardt's book American Pocket Watches volume 2 Illinois Watch Co. I can't believe I forgot I had that!
Here is a picture from the book showing a dial similar to mine but it's glass enamel.

Regards ..... Gary

Dial

IHC Member 2264
posted
Just to add: Everything else about that picture is correct.
My watch has the same Wadsorth 14k case with the same bow & hands. A Type 1
It keeps great time but I don't know when it was last serviced. I'll get it serviced when I get a correct dial for it to replace the metal "Fake".
Regards ..... Gary

Front

IHC Member 2084
posted
Shouldn't be hard to find a dial like the one in the ad.may take longer for a mint one.which as nice as your case is.thats what I would wait for.one easy clue to getting your era dial is arrows in.once hamilton took over around 1928,the first thing they did was arrows out.and hollow dial feet.

Posts: 47 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2015
IHC Member 2264
posted
Thanks Keith, I'll keep looking.
It's a shame about my dial as it looks pretty good until you look closely.
Regards ..... Gary

posted
Gary, I’ve got an original 16size Illinois double sunk watch dial. It’s not perfect, but let me know if you’re interested. I’ll try and figure out how to shrink the size of the photo I have. This won’t let me send it.
Mark

Posts: 3 | Location: Washington State in the USA | Registered: March 12, 2024
posted
I got it. It doesn’t say Bunn Special, but I have other Bunn Specials that don’t say it on the dial either. LMK.

16s Illinois

IHC Member 1555
posted
Mark, I wonder if you realise that the dial you have there has been over-soaked to clean it, hence the ink loss. Illinois dials are notorious for losing their Font and Numeral colour as it is not fired under the dial surface clear glass enamel, just stamped on top, seen plenty of them ruined.

IHC Member 2264
posted
Thanks Mark, but I will be looking for the "Arrows In" variety.
Regards ..... Gary

posted
Bila, no, that’s just the resampling to get the image small enough to post.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Ok Mark, what program did you use for resizing as I have never seen them turn out like that before and I have resized plenty overthe years.

Still, it does not look right to me, still of the opinion that it has been heavily soaked to clean sometime in its life.