WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need Dial Longines Express Monarch BROWNS Hannibal Mo "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Ok
First off are these 3 dial foot Longines Swiss made or USA made. I was always under the assumption the where Canada Railroad grade watches. Am I even close.
The movement is marked 21 jewel adjusted, Longines Express Monarch. Browns Hannibal Mo.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Swiss

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
I do know that Browns was a Railroad Watch Inspector in Hannibal mo. Since I like collecting Railroad watch inspectors watches. This was a sure thing when I shucked out the cash for this one. The staff is good in this one.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Very nice watch. I have several Express Monarchs and also a 16s 21j Longines Mail and Express Leader and just recently acquired an 18s 17j 5p adjustment Longines Expess Leader.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Deacon I Took the watch apart to give it a clean & oil and discovered a broken pivot on the Pallet fork pinion.
So I put it back together and save it for another day of repairing it.

I have made a pallet fork pinion before for my serial # 4243 waltham Dennison Howard and Davis Key wind.

But this project will have to wait for another day.

IHC Life Member
posted
I have not seen a lot of these before but it sounds as though they must of made a few if you have this many.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Eugene I really like those watches and actively look for them. Longines and Omega tried to play in the American Railroad watch market and the politics of the day and the American watch companies made that difficult. I have seen Longines that were accepted on at least some American railroads and I have an 18s Omega 21j hunter that was sold by a Tulsa railroad inspector. I got it from Dave Abbe. I have a 15j Longines like yours that has the pallet fork pinion you need (I believe). Let me know if that helps or if you want to sell yours!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Richard I would be interested in the pallet fork pinion.

If your watch is a complete watch I would rather make a pinion later for my watch than remove a part that would make your watch into a parts watch. If it is already a parts watch than I don't have a problem with the idea of using the pinion.

Browns was also a Railroad watch inspector. but I mentioned that earlier.

IHC Life Member
posted
Deacon did you get your movement back. I did purchase another 21 jewel browns special Longines Monark for a song. The problem is the new watch. Is 2 #'s away from my first one. Here is the LINK

So I'm still looking for a Pallet fork pinion. And now a dial.

IHC Life Member
posted
Darn the luck I bought a Longines monarch off ebay, Marked Browns Special. The guy said was for PARTS AS IS. It runs great but has an elgin dial on it. I needed the pallet fork pinion for another. Just my luck it is 2 #'s away from my other Browns special. Now I have to fix up 2 watches.

Still need a pinion for my first Longines. Now I need a dial for my second one.