• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help on a Seth Thomas please "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I do like Seth Thomas, both clocks and PWs, but I don't know much about Seth PWs. Can you kindly give me some info about this ? It should be a model 6, 18s, but that's all I know
Thanks a lot

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
posted
Hey Mario,
You are right,it is a model 6,18 size,looks to be 7 jewels,and made in 1909.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mario, This looks like a nice example of a well-trained" (pun intended Cool) movement design that migrated all through the "low-end" watches. You will see the same idea on Seth 16s and 18s, and also Trenton, New York Standard, and their sub-names. They are all "flashbacks" to some early ideas that were done by Waltham, etc.

The Balance Jewels are press fit, no jewel screws so the "end-shake" can be adjusted right at assembly by the "swiss" method. That makes these easy to get going, but they are only a 1/2-step above "Dollar" watches, for quality of time.

I see this design as made by Seth Thomas as the most "respectable" one because it IS a Seth Thomas and they clean up nicely.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This one stays within 2 minutes a day, very good for the design.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David, pleasure reading you. My sweet tooth for Seth came out of a heaxgon Drop Dial (Nov. 1881) and a Mark1 Deck Clock, 1942, this one sitting on the wall, just opposite to me, with its black bakelyte porthole, and their incredible precision. You are absolutely right as far as design, but then ... IS a Seth Thomas, as you say.

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
posted
Hey David,
What is your opinion of the model 5 Seth? I have owned several of those 1/2 step above dollar watches,and found them to be very reliable timekeepers,and if you have the interest,which I do,they can with a little patience,be adjusted to be very accurate watches. I started out years ago,collecting NYS watches,and while I don't have many anymore,I still hold onto the more rare models of NYS,and all the model 5 Seth Thomas,that I can get.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009