Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Aurora Watch, comments appreciated "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I just picked this up this afternoon. Got it locally and would appreciate the Good, Bad, and Ugly on it. To me it appears to be a seven jewel, it is an 18s, and is in a Hunter Case. Needs a crystal and seconds hand, runs, looks to have had an unorthodox repair on the Mspg Barrel. This was an impulse buy and I hope I didn't get taken too badly. Confused

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Closer look

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Movement is running, lever set and missing at least one screw.

IHC Member 1016
posted
movement #2

IHC Member 1016
posted
Odd case marking. I have not seen this before. Any thoughts?

IHC Member 1508
posted
Mike, Aurora was purchased by a group of business men in Lancaster, PA, and became Hamilton Watch Company. All of it's machinery, and key people, most notably Charles D. Rood and Henry J. Cain, went to Lancaster. Rood was Hamilton's first president, and Cain designed their first watch. You've got a lovely piece of pre-Hamilton history here. It is also in a beautiful box-hinge case, which are becoming hard to find, it runs, and doesn't appear to need too much in the way of repairs. That, and because of it's historical ties to Hamilton, I'd say you "done real good" indeed! Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Brad. I think it is an unusual buy and certainly needs cleaning up.

IHC Member 1508
posted
You should be able to chase down those missing screws, and I think William White just may have a crystal to fit this. If it were me, I'd be sending it down to Chris Abell for a COA, and possibly right the "unorthodox" repair job. Unless you can do all that yourself. Big Grin Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
It is not 18kt case but it should be low kt gold. The last one I had marked like this was 9kt.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1508
posted
Mike, can you post some pics of the front and back of the case. Don't know much about them, just want to see what the whole package looks like.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Brad, that will be done tomorrow. I think I'd like to get some before and afters on this one. I had literally just got it when I took the several photos. Tonight I'll search my crystal cabinet and try to replace the missing one.

Any idea as to value, jewel count, etc? Looks like a 7 jewel to me, but what do I know?

posted
Mike-

I'm guessing 10 or 14 jewels. I would typically say 11 or 15, but the bushing on the 4th wheel cuts it back one Wink

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
nice one I did pick one myself few weeks back
will post new pictures with clean dial
mine is what they call pair case.
but here is my old post.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6047761/m/8413912567

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1508
posted
According to the Gilbert/Engle book, they made low to medium grade watches 7j, 11j, and 15j. From what I can see, this watch is in the $4-500.00 range in mint condition. Regards, Brad

IHC Member 1016
posted
I was able to replace the missing screws with some from an old parts watch. They seem to fit fine both functionally and cosmetically. Also found a crystal that seems fine, so tomorrow I will do some polishing and see how the case looks. If this is a $4-5 hundred dollar watch then I did well. if it is a $200 watch I'll live with it and if it's a $50 watch I'll feel real bad!

IHC Member 1508
posted
Naw, I think it's a lot more than $50.00.

posted
Looks to be goldfilled, in your first photo i see wear through just below the pendant and above the box hinge. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
posted
Definately goldfilled, you can see the wear in the other photos too. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Check out the covers!

IHC Member 1016
posted
Back

IHC Member 1016
posted
Crystal fit. Will post after photos, After!

IHC Member 1508
posted
Looks like a keeper Mike. Those front and back covers should really shine once you get the crud off of 'em! Beautiful designs. I was thinking, a very old Hamilton second hand might just do the trick. Regards, Brad

IHC Member 1016
posted
After. Front

IHC Member 1016
posted
The back

IHC Member 1016
posted
Still need a secons hand. I am impressed with the amount of detail on this case. Hope it holds the polish well.

IHC Member 1508
posted
Simply gorgeous Mike!