Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 974 Special Dial Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I have a 974 special that looks exactly like the one in this ad. I also have one that has the "Interurban" dial on it. My question is, based on this picture, what is the "16-97" dial or is this dials "16" through "97"? Lastly, would it be correct to put the "Interurban" dial on this watch with the case that it is in?

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Dan,I am not sure on the date of the dial in your pic. Maybe a more knowledgeable Hamilton person will pipe in, but I believe the 16-97 is just the dial stock number.
As far as switching the "Interurban" dial I would leave it on the original watch. Hamilton Electric dials were used during a certain time period. The movement serial numbers correspond to each individual dial period. The HAMILTON ELECTRIC SPECIAL, HAMILTON ELECTRIC RAILWAY SPECIAL, HAMILTON INTERURBAN SPECIAL are the dials Hamilton used to appeal to the interurban and electric railway men.

Check this thread on IHC185.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...4108073/m/5363938857

If you would like to post your Interurban info I will add it to the roster.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I will post what I have, but the dial was actually purchased separately Frown I had 2 974 Specials and decided to put it on the one that did not have a good dial. I got the picture from our web site here. The other Special actually I think is all original. I bought a 974 Special that came with the box and paperwork and this was the dial that was on it (like the one pictured).

I will take a few pics and post them.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Ok, I took some pics. The first set are of the one in the box, the next set are of the ones with the Electric Railway Special Dial (I got the terms mixed up the first time).

The one in the box has "From Parents 6-4-30" engraved on the back bezel and a monogram. It is a Star Watch Co 10K White Gold filled case and is serial number 8899320. The Movement is marked 974 Special and serial number 25269265.

The one with the ERS Dial is in a Hamilton marked Crescent Watch Case Co 25 Year case with serial number 2574582 and the Movement is marked 974 Special and serial number 2544323.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Box Pic 2 of 3

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Box pic 3 of 3

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Hamilton 974 Special with Hamilton Electric Railway Special dial