Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can anyone help me please "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1902
posted
Can anyone help me please.
I have been using a database which deals with all makes of pocket watches.
It finds your watch based on the serial No.and gives a full description of it plus a guide value but I can't remember what it is called.
I don't know how, but it has disappeared from my computer and I have no way of accessing it.
I've tried all the ones which come up on a search but non are as good as this one.
Does anyone know the name of the site I'm looking for.
I think originally I got the site from ihc185.

Please help if you can.

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 2134
posted
Probably this one: Pocket Watch Database

Mort Denison

Posts: 175 | Location: York, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2016
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks Mort but that isn't the one I'm looking for.

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1691
posted

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Member 1555
posted
Are you sure it is not the one Mike that Mort has mentioned, as it is the only one I know of that gives values (although these are so far out in some instances as it does not take into account a lot of variants, that is just one of the issues with their value estimates, also there are a few other criteria that are not addressed as well).

It has recently had a revamp and looks different now, so if you haven't been there recently at first look you might not realize that it is the one?

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
Picture of Brian C.
posted
quote:
please

Bila, I think you're right. I've noticed the change as well.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks a lot Mort and also Billa and Brian C. for explaining the change.

It's been so long since I used it and the site is so different that I just bypassed it.

Went back to it and investigated properly and it turned out to be the correct one.

I don't rely on it for values but just for good descriptions.

Thanks again all, and have a good Christmas and stay safe.

Mike

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Mike and everyone,

We have long suggested simply posting a description and picture of your watch so we can not only look it up but also render an opinion on value, collectability and desirability based upon our experience and what we can see in looking at the specifics of the watch in question.

Personally I have noticed dubious information from the so-called database mentioned earlier in this topic. My opinion is based on years of experience and the fact that when typing specific examples from my collection into on-line "database" they are often very inaccurate.

Stay well, wear a mask!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,

While it can never be perfect, I work to improve the database on a daily basis. As we all know, outliers are inevitable in any hobby. Let me know which watches did not return the expected information. I will look into these and make necessary corrections.

Thanks!

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012