Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anyone familiar with this Hamilton Dial? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
Is anyone familiar with this Hamilton dial, and what models it may be right for? It came on a 956, Serial # 1170236 (about 1915-16 according to Gelson). The movement was housed in a side-swingout Hamilton-signed case that I understand is right for a 956. But I'm not sure about the dial. It has "arrow-top" 1's that are similar to the numerals on my Ball Waltham. I spent about an hour on the club website but couldn't find another example.

Any thoughts or insights appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert Lee Milliron
posted
That serial number went to the finishing dept. at Hamilton October 5, 1915. I believe the dial should be in script.

Posts: 663 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2005
IHC Member 1955
posted
Thanks Robert. I had the same thought too. But I also have a faint recollection from somewhere (can't recall where) that the 17j trolley watches had the block-lettered dials before the 1918-1919 period. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
posted
Is there a site that shows the dials by year ? I have a hamilton that needs a dial too

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
This is the best I have.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1955
posted
I think this March, 1916 National Geographic ad, posted in the "Hamilton" research forum, might be what I had in mind in thinking that the block script may have been in use on some watches before 1918. The watch in the ad may be a 12s, based on other Nat Geo ads from the same period. But the block Roman dial style does appear similar if not identical to the one the 16s 956 in a 1918 ad that has been posted a few times in connection with 956 discussions.

If it is a post-1918 dial, I'd still be very interested to know what watch it would be appropriate on. I still can't find another exemplar. Maybe its a rare find worth millions . . . Big Grin

IHC Member 1955
posted
Kevin, here is a link to a discussion that addresses and updates the chart that Lorne provided:

Hamilton Railroad Porcelain Dials

And here's another:

Hamilton script dial - black only? no red 5-min

IHC Member 1736
posted
Mike, great stuff. Thanks for pulling it all to one location.

The National Geographic advertisement calls out the Hamilton Masterpiece at $150.00 This tells me the advertisement is discussing the 12s 900 series watches.

What I find most informative is the reference to "Movements alone, to fit your present watch case at $12.25 ($13.00 in Canada).

I've always considered 900 series movements in "other than" Hamilton factory cases to be incorrect... this ad makes it clear that ordering them as loose movements was an option.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Paul -- Your last sentence paints with a broad brush. Did you mean only 12-size watches? Otherwise, Hamilton was making 900 series timepieces in the early 1890s, and none of the 18s grades are in "Hamilton" cases, that I know of.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Member 1955
posted
Paul, any thoughts about the Hamilton dial that is the subject of this post?

IHC Member 1736
posted
It's definitely different. Appears to be in exceptional condition. Otherwise, no.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
posted
Here is an ad that is included in Lowell Halligan's files on the 956. As you can see the dial is the same as yours and the serial number shown would date it before yours at around 1914.

956 Ad

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Robert's contribution sets the record for this being right as it is. The "hidden hinge" style case was the case Michael describes which I expect qualifies the whole watch as "correct". The Hands may be replacements, but that is another discussion completely.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1955
posted
Well, this is just outstanding. Thank you Robert and David!

David, you are absolutely right that the hands are replacements. When I bought the 956, it was with the express intent to replace the dial and hands with a bold Roman Hamilton dial and moon hands that I thought appropriate for the watch. The hands in my picture originally came on a 974. I did not believe that this dial was right for the 956, so I transferred it onto a 974 to make way for the Roman dial on the 956. But now that I know this dial is correct for the 956, the dial and its original hands (which are identical to those in Robert's ad) are immediately going back on the 956, which still resides in its "hidden hinge" case!

IHC Member 1955
posted
Back in its natural habitat . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Great save!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1955
posted
Thanks Dave. I guess I saved myself from my own mistake of trying to get too cute with replacement dials. Should have checked here first . . . Smile

IHC Member 1736
posted
Ken,

Yes, 10S and 12s series 900s... 900 through 923 in particular.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Right, Paul. But not a single 18-size Hamilton, and maybe no 16-size either. I'm not real into the 16s Hamiltons.

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013