Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Railroad Porcelain Dials "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Weldon Hopkins
posted
I need to know if there is any information showing the dates of which dial came first and the second Etc. And do we have information knowing which dial is correct for a certain case that would be avaiable for the new-comer collecting .
I suppose in a nut-shell I am asking if anybody has
compiled the data off timebooks , catalogs, or information from Hamilton watch co. showing dates and what is correct for a certain Hamilton factory cases.
Regards
Weldon Hopkins

Posts: 79 | Location: Hallsville, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: November 12, 2005
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Hi Weldon, welcome to Chapter 185!

The question you asked is of considerable interest to the serious collector of factory-cased Hamilton watches. A lot of information is available on this website, however, there is no convenient single point of reference.

I would suggest using the keyword search function on this website to find postings on what dial or case on which you are seeking information. Another approach would be to post a specific question.

The willingness of our members to share their knowledge is one of the best features of Chapter 185.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Weldon Hopkins
posted
Hi Ed,
Here is the question has anybody on Chapter 185 Compiled a Date List of the start of a railroad dial and the correct Hamilton case it would go with. Yes I have couple of time books and some of Hamilton Catalogs and Roy Ehrhardt Identification and price guide not all new comers to collecting pocket watches have that information. Wouldnt be great if there was list to go and look at for the new guy. I have some dates when they came out and quit making them.
Weldon

Posts: 79 | Location: Hallsville, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: November 12, 2005
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Weldon,
Below is a start.

Robert

Note- Chart below has been updated to include most of the known dial signatures.

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

About Robert's dial image,

Numbering the signatures 1-4 as follows...

1) The original signature 1892 to approximately 1905

2) Second one was approximately 1905 through about 1918

3) Third is actually somewhat later as there is one in between. The one in between is Hamilton block letters with serifs which found regular use beginning in 1918 and was used on pocket watch dials as late as about the 1948 area when they were moving out the leftover porcelain-enamel dials. That third one shown began in the late 1930s on both pocket and wrist watches. It was used throughout the years and in fact continues to this day on the Hamilton wristwatches.

4) As Robert said, the earliest use of that fourth one on a dial would be considered October of 1940 with 992B introduction. It was used throughout 992B production which ended in 1969 and on post-production pocket watches assembled the following year. That signature was also used for some odd "replicas" sold by Hamilton a few years later.

The case question is somewhat more complicated and would take additional research.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
Thank you very much. I will locate #3 and update the image.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Robert,

Thanks a million for all you do!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
The Hamilton Dial chart (in my post above) has been updated to include one additional signature and time frame they were all used.

Lindell, thanks again for sharing the additional information.

Robert

posted
missing one....

olde english H ... Big Grin

and the script without 'watch co' may date a bit earlier...

posted
Terry,
Thank you. According to research the "Old English" dates from 1908 to 1913. Do you know the dates for the last one shown?

Robert

posted
hey, u found one... olde eng...

the stylized H ... IMHO, very late 50's, early 60's until the end....

you will see this stylized H also in some case markings...... but on few pocket dials... IMHO.. maybe on smaller sizes.....

the next-to-last is seen on the melamine 950B dial that is similar to the 379 dial.

posted
Terry,
Thanks for the info. I would like to do the same for the Illinois dials on a new topic. I will need help with the dates.

Robert

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Would someone post a pic of a hamilton dial with the ole english font. Thanks.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
Tony,
these are usually seen on 950 pendant set... i don't have a pic in my files at this time....

posted
Tony,
The "Old English" dial often found on 950 pendant set.

Robert

posted
I recently bought a timebook, which is for 1912, 1913 or 1914. It's my first one and so I'm not sure which year it represents, as it has calendars in the back for all three. Anyway, the dials pictured for the 920 and the 950 have Hamilton in ye Olde English, while the dials for the 992 and 940 have the scripted Hamilton.

The 950 and 920 dials have slightly differing styles for the numbers, and the 950 dial is similar to the picture that Robert posted, but with the numbers in the seconds sink not being upright.

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005
posted
Below is an updated chart that includes two additional dial signatures.

The signature on the top row (extreme right) was used on the 17 size Hamilton 960 (early) series movements. When compared to the other script signature, it has a smaller font and the "H" and "W" are different.

Also added is the signature on the bottom row (center).

Robert

posted
You guys are good. We started with 4 and we are up to 11 so far.
The dial on my Model 22 has another style,so that makes 12.I have no idea what they called it.Any answers?
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
This a great string and a lot of information is given regarding the 'signatures' on Hamilton Porcelain Dials but where are photos of the porcelain dials that one might see what the dial looks like....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 665
posted
This dial original to Hamilton grade 938 ser. no. 6639 shows an elegant variation of the early Hamilton Watch Co inscription.

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Member 1357
posted
To add one to a old post.4ft.dial in old English
style,single sunk on a model 974 s/n 848466=1911-1912 pw/ps I wish I had a dial model # for this one.Anyone?

Roger

s

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Here's an early 4 foot dial from a 977 serial #67011

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Roger I don't have the number to that dial but the date looks right. It is my understanding that dial was available around 1910 to 1914 time frame (someone please correct me if I am wrong). I have one on a 974. It also came in a DS version. I have a NOS DS version and I have not found a movement worthy of this DS version.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Notice that John Scott's Grade 938 has a correct Double sunk dial because it is a Hamilton Railroad Grade movement. Both Roger's 974 and Steven's 977 have Single Sunk dials because of their NON Railroad Grade status. In all their advertising Hamilton was very precise about this practice.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
Here's another one, posted by Robert McClelland in response to my query re: a 16-size dial on a Grade 956. This one is a sans serif block dial, but the letters are not as rounded as on the later sans serif block dials.

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
And here's my example of the same dial on a 956, movement # 1170236:

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013