Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help Identify Maker of Marion Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I was wondering if someone might tell me who the maker of this pocket watch is. It is a 18s stem wind lever set . The dial is marked M W Watch Co. & the movement is Marion Watch Co. Springfield.

I have seen where there was the Marion Watch Company but from what I have found their movements were marked Marion NJ.

Also I thought it odd that the disc next to the regulator that is marked adjusted covers part of the serial number.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

Dial

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Movement

Movement

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Tom,
The Marion Watch Co. was the result of the reorganization of the United States Watch Co. in 1874. However, it was also the name of a watch produced by the United States Watch Co.
I have no idea which one it is, but it is a fine looking watch, and some of them are costly too!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Sheila

Thanks for the answer, I wasn't sure if this was one of their watches or not since the ones I have seen photos of are marked different. I have seen their butterfly cut out ones that I think are the ones worth some money. I just wasn't sure if they made this one.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Actually look closely at the movement. This is a Swiss Fake, and the name used is "MarVin" watch, the plate cuts are near the style of the Key Wind Thomas Studley style made by N. Y. Watch of Springfield, but the uniquely Swiss fake watch regulator is a dead giveaway. The fact is that as this is a working watch, it makes a nice "hi-Grade Marvin" Swiss fake, with a touch of Waltham in the Cock Foot cut, ad N.Y. Watch of Springfield in the copy cat plate cuts.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
You are SO right!

I tried to enlarge the picture and couldn't, I'm so glad you can tell.

I also noticed that the Balance Cock was different and could not find a reference for it.

Great Information! I can mark that in my book.

Sorry Tom, not real up on these, but I sure love getting the answer as much as you!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
HI SHEILA, I am surely not alone in thanking you for your contribution to our discussions. They are always a pleasure to read, share and enjoy. Smile Big Grin Cool ,

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks David

You are right about the Marvin, funny how your eyes see something that isn't there, I thought I saw Marion so I did, now it says Marvin & I don't know how I saw Marion. Oh well glad I didn't pay much for it & now I know what it is.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Considering the good condition of this watch, and the fact it is running, I would not despair it's ownership. It represents the poorly informed failure of Swiss watchmakers to "hit" the U.S. Watchmaker's market of high grade "made in USA" machine produced watches. To that end, take care of it as a piece of horological history which does have reasonable collectible value.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

You're great Sheila, your always enthusiastic posts are a truly joy to read. Smile

This one with a little bit of several makers thrown together helped slip it past buyers a hundred years ago and it still works! I agree with Tom, you can actually sit and look at the name and convince yourself it is right but then as David sorted it out and explained the specifics... it finally hits you! Eek WOOPS!!!

One of the best 'swiss-fakes' I've seen, it's worth saving.

Just be sure the whole story goes with it.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

If I ever get rid of it I will sure let the new owner know what it is, it actually runs great & keeps very good time. I have been carrying it for quite a while every day to work & it appears to keep perfect time.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It likes you. Smile

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Update-------The swiss fake watch is now in my collection.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Not the one I posted, unless you got into my cabinet. Does your have the same serial number?

Tom

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Tom,
Yes-The serial number on mine is 972 and it looks just like yours. An interesting watch and thread.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Yeah I have not carried mine in a few years but every now & then I wind it & watch for a day or so & it always keeps great time.

Tom

posted
Some of the Swiss Fakes are marked "Maroin".You see these once in a while on the bay.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
And many times they are marked with the same serial numbers. Confused

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006