posted
one side

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
inside cover.

posted
Hi Peter,It is my understanding The "Tornado"is made by Illinois Watch case Co.and is gold filled.I have one with an Elgin "Father Time" in it.They are a very nice case.Regards,Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
It is a nice looking case, however, my Illinois Case Grade data sheet does not show the Tornado as being one of theirs....

This does not mean that it isn't a Illinois case though....

An interesting question....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I never could figure out who made the Tornado case, but most I have seen, even in different sizes had a nice pattern like yours and seemed to be thinly plated, perhaps a 5 or 10 year case. Generally I think of them as decent inexpensive cases.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
so looks like the gold is gone but the pattern is not worn out great.
Thanks all.

posted
Would be hard to wear out the plating without wearing down the details of the case which still looks pretty sharp. But, if you look at the crown tube, it looks like some plating still remains.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
My experience tells me that it is brass. If I am wrong it would be the first time in 76 years Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Here it is in the Roy Ehrhardt "trade Mark" book on page 61.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I agree with Peter and Phil about "Tornado" being a brass case, the ones I have found are usually good looking cases most likely because that hard brass holds up well. There may well have been a "flash" or "wash" of gold on them originally to retain their brightness, but look at Peter's third image where the brass in spots is strongly reacting to the atmosphere.

As the page Larry referenced indicates "Tornado" is one of the Illinois Watch Case Company Trade Marks, unfortunately Ehrhardt did not break it down as to which Trade Marks were used on what cases. But notice that "Tornado" is NOT shown in the "Complete Guide to Watches" 2012 Edition, Pages 36-38 among Gold-Filled cases... because it is not.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have the book and agree with Lindell on
Roy not noticing that Tornado is brass case.

posted
I acquired a Columbus King watch that is in a "Tornado" case. At first I thought was a badly brassed GF case. Now I think It was always just a brass case. Not a speck of gold plating on it.

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011