June 22, 2012, 04:12
Peter Kaszubski
one side

June 22, 2012, 04:13
Peter Kaszubski
inside cover.

June 22, 2012, 09:32
Norman Mayberry
Hi Peter,It is my understanding The "Tornado"is made by Illinois Watch case Co.and is gold filled.I have one with an Elgin "Father Time" in it.They are a very nice case.Regards,Norm
June 22, 2012, 10:51
Jerry King
It is a nice looking case, however, my Illinois Case Grade data sheet does not show the Tornado as being one of theirs....

This does not mean that it isn't a Illinois case though....

An interesting question....

Regards,

Jerry
June 22, 2012, 12:01
Richard M. Jones
I never could figure out who made the Tornado case, but most I have seen, even in different sizes had a nice pattern like yours and seemed to be thinly plated, perhaps a 5 or 10 year case. Generally I think of them as decent inexpensive cases.

Deacon
June 22, 2012, 14:22
Peter Kaszubski
so looks like the gold is gone but the pattern is not worn out great.
Thanks all.
June 22, 2012, 21:07
Ray Hallenbeck
Would be hard to wear out the plating without wearing down the details of the case which still looks pretty sharp. But, if you look at the crown tube, it looks like some plating still remains.
June 23, 2012, 06:24
Phillip Sanchez
My experience tells me that it is brass. If I am wrong it would be the first time in 76 years Smile
June 23, 2012, 08:01
Larry Lamphier
Here it is in the Roy Ehrhardt "trade Mark" book on page 61.

June 23, 2012, 13:45
Lindell V. Riddle

I agree with Peter and Phil about "Tornado" being a brass case, the ones I have found are usually good looking cases most likely because that hard brass holds up well. There may well have been a "flash" or "wash" of gold on them originally to retain their brightness, but look at Peter's third image where the brass in spots is strongly reacting to the atmosphere.

As the page Larry referenced indicates "Tornado" is one of the Illinois Watch Case Company Trade Marks, unfortunately Ehrhardt did not break it down as to which Trade Marks were used on what cases. But notice that "Tornado" is NOT shown in the "Complete Guide to Watches" 2012 Edition, Pages 36-38 among Gold-Filled cases... because it is not.

Lindell

Wink

June 23, 2012, 13:48
Peter Kaszubski
I have the book and agree with Lindell on
Roy not noticing that Tornado is brass case.
February 16, 2020, 23:25
Dennis McCann
I acquired a Columbus King watch that is in a "Tornado" case. At first I thought was a badly brassed GF case. Now I think It was always just a brass case. Not a speck of gold plating on it.