Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 868 PW Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Thanks to Larry Fure (Thanks Larry!) I acquired this Elgin PW that needed a pallet and hairspring. Here's the picture that Larry sent me before I bought the watch...

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
And now a picture of the watch running! It's a Unitas 6497 movement that Elgin made into their own "grade 868" watch.

posted
Good job Frank. Did you use the balance that was in the movement and just add the hairspring,or did you end up replacing the whole assembly?

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Larry,

I just dropped a balance complete in with pallet fork taken from same movement. The Elgin movement is just gunky enough, especially in the keyless works, to need a cleaning. I used some emery paper to take out some scuffs. Good movement with little variation in positions and has a good beat and amplitude. The tricky thing is there's no pointer or index to move the regulator with, so when setting the rate you have to use a light touch. I was lucky. I hit 18001 on the first adjustment. Of course, it will change after I clean it.

Frank "407"

P.S. - Thanks Larry!!!

posted
I didn't even take the movement out of the case when I got it.When you get it cleaned up and regulated it will make a great time piece for someone to carry. I have overhauled a few in the past (Waltham) and given them to freinds to carry. They use them every day and they keep good time for them. If they ever drop them I'll have to look you up for staffs. Wink
P.S Your Welcome. Smile

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Here's one of the true beauties that started as a 6497. The UT 6497 designation under the balance has been milled out. The typical round head plate screws have been replaced by very nice flat polished screws with a slight bevel. Very classy screw! Similar to the screws on the Elgin "868". Also, the plates have been chamfered around the entire diameter and a mirror polish applied to the 45 degree cut. Last but most surprising is the balance. The balance spokes are of a different shape than any other I have seen. Perhaps a special order? I do not know. This is one of the few pre-1980's movements that started life as a 6497 that has had some true reworking and could almost be considered a sub-calibre.