Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Making Small Parts "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Sometimes a part just isn't available and the only choice left is to make it. This rare Rockford wind indicator had a broken pallet pivot. Unable to locate the part, it had to be made. Fortunately the arbor is pressed into the pallet and not screwed in like many are. Sometimes you can re-pivot. The first picture shows a hole drilled into the end of the existing arbor.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This picture shows the drilled arbor next to the pallet.

IHC Life Member
posted
There really wasn't enough shoulder left to fit a new pivot comfortably and the work involved would have been as much as making a new arbor. Using the old arbor for a model, the new part begins. Pivot diameter is .11mm or approx. .004" same as a typical balance staff. It was intentionally left long.

IHC Life Member
posted
Progress is made turning the shoulder.

IHC Life Member
posted
Finally part is complete except for final fit. The part is polished to a mirror finish but the picture doesn't show that well.

IHC Life Member
posted
There is more involved here, including selecting the right material and gravers to do the job right. There are cap jewels on the pallet so end shake was especially critical. I was able to turn the pivots to make a perfect fit in the hole jewels. In the end, a part indistinguishable from a factory original was made and installed making a rare watch live again.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Nice work...

Posts: 2010 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Great work and watch is ticking again.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Great Job Roger!!

That is REALLY small also.

How long did it take to do it?

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks for the kind comments.

I didn't keep track of the hours involved and it took awhile to come up with the right combination of material and gravers to use. I also had several failures along the way. If I had to guess I probably spent 4.0 hours or so at this BUT I learned a lot along the way. An old time watchmaker could probably have made the part in less than an hour...without the advantage of great lighting and a microscope to work under. I have a great appreciation of the abilities of our predecessors.

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Roger, what type of material did you use?

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Roger, I have a need to modify a stem from a different brand of watch to work in a 1920's Rebberg Rolex movement. I will be doing this on the lathe and was wondering if the stem I'll be working with has to be softened (annealed?) prior to working with the gravers, and then rehardened before putting it into service? Thanks. Smile

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Roger. You are a man of great talent.
It really gives me goose bumps when I hear a watchmaker has renewed a masterpiece of old. This may still be around for your grand kids to cherish and even family after that.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
For many of you who do not know Roger he is a treasure trove of knowledge and has a true drive to accomplish what he set's his mind to.
I would have to say that I would bet the staff he made is better than the original. A better fit and finish, even thought he took longer to make it.
Eric, how is the watch running?

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Congratulations Roger, job well done.

Posts: 93 | Location: Cockeysville, Maryland in the USA | Registered: October 28, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks again for all the kind words guys!

Bruce...I tried several materials including pivot wire, but ultimately settled on drill rod. I purchased a good supply of very small broken drills, the rod diameter is just under 1mm and the tips of the drills tapered to sizes of around .25mm.

Bruce S....If your gravers are sharp enough, you should be able to make the modification without any heat treating. You might spend as much time re-sharpening as you do working, but it is very important. I also like carbide gravers.

Patrick...Thanks, and I wish it were my watch, but it belongs to a forum member, Eric Unselt. Maybe he'll post pictures of the watch in it's case.

posted
Roger,

Amazing work from start to finish!!!

And yes a photo is worth a 1000 words!

Big Grin

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
posted
The watch in question is a Rockford 21j 655 wind-indicator - another Jones-Horan score from the September 2012 auction.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Roger's tenacity and talent in fabricating the part was very much appreciated, since finding a replacement was nearly impossible. Not only did Roger mill a replacement for the busted pallet staff, he re-set the pallet stones, re-poised the wheel, and re-shellacked the roller jewel to correct multiple problems - and it's keeping perfect time.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Cased in B&B's finest:

IHC Life Member
posted
Stunning!

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Gorgeous!

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Eric, I think you should name this watch "The Phoenix" Big Grin

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Fantastic precision work Roger....well done.

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010