Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Factory Case Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Just got a nice Waltham, and the case is in very good condition. I noticed that around the bow recesses, there appears to be painted decorative effect, is this the original finish?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
yes,
i believe these cases were enameled....

and finding the enameling intact is a challenge.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Terry,
There is also traces left in the pattern around both covers and bow, does anyone have a picture of a good example?

posted
I have one of these cases that is super nice. The black enamel is somewhat better than Chris's example. I'll dig it out later and take some pix. It's a 23j Vanguard up/down with lossier inner terminal hairspring. It's the nicest overall example I've run across.

Doug

Posts: 83 | Location: East Hampton, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 10, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

One of the most interesting of these cases is the one I sent to Sweden last year. It looks great on Bernhard Schmidt's Canadian Pacific as you'll see in this topic...

"Before and After 23J Canadian Pacific Waltham"

Closer to home, I bought a nearly identical watch to the one Chris asked about at the Great Lakes Regional in Dearborn last fall. Mine is a wind indicator from 1929 in a correctly numbered deeply toned rose-gold-filled and black enameled Waltham-Wadsworth case.

Waltham Wind-Indicator looks fine in rose/enameled case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Case-back has a very nicely detailed tuxedo style pattern...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Here's the 23-Jewel Vanguard movement which is number 26561754 from a 1929 production run. You can see details of the movement in the image below. But more on point for this topic, the Waltham-Wadsworth signature and case serial number 8458556 which like the movement is also from 1929 and interestingly it carries a 1928 patent.

Waltham-Wadsworth enameled case carries 1928 patent...

posted
here is a small scan of a 1931 Louis Sickles catalog with this case

i had to reduce it for upload...

posted
by request... maybe this will help...

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Terry,

Great to see those scans, I was wondering if Doug had a side photograph of his case so myself and Lindell can see how much paint is in the bezel pattern area mine has traces left in it.

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Interesting to note that by 1931 the Crescent St. grade is listed as being "adjusted to 6 positions". Most of the earlier Crescent St's are adjusted to 5 positions. The "6 Position" movements make a nice addition to a RR watch collection.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Ed,

Thanks for pointing out the "6 Positions" which, not being much of a Waltham collector I had not previously noticed in the ad or for that matter on the movement. Turns out the 23-Jewel Vanguard Indicator I showed above, movement 26561754 with 1929 production number has that "6 Positions" marking you referenced.

Looking at a slightly later 23-Jewel Vanguard Indicator, number 27128969 it is marked "6 Positions" as well. That one, shown below in a green-gold-filled Waltham "2-B Case" has the bolder dial shown in the ad Terry shared with us. Interestingly the 1931 ad shows no indicators, but the one below is from about that same time-frame.

Vanguard Number 27128969 is 23-Jewels and 6 Positions...

posted
Sorry for the delay. Just took couple quick pix of one I have. Not as crisp as I thought but real nice. Thanks to Lindell for the super pictures and info. Wow. Nice case! Anyhow here's another. The Serial Number is 26561834 so pretty close to one Lindell showed.

Doug

Front View

Posts: 83 | Location: East Hampton, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 10, 2004
posted
Movement

Doug

Movement

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Very nice watch Doug, do you have a well lit picture of the side of the case, showing the extent of paint in bezels,
Thanks

posted
hey terry i have the exact watch in your advert.
The waltham "Railway Special"

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
Sorry about the pics i am not as good as lindell with the cameraSmile plus i have been out of town for a while

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003