Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Smile

Bernhard "the swede"
www.stockholmwatchtrader.com

efter bak

posted
Thank you Lindell for the really beautiful case.
The dial is not that good but, it´s the right one.

Bernhard "the swede"

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Bernhard, Great looking watch

posted
.....thank´s Ted! Can we se something from your collection, you told me about a coin silver beauty?

Bernhard "the swede"

posted
Coin silver #1 coin Elgin 15 jewels

Elgin, Coin silver

posted
movement

movement

posted
Bernhard this is a nice heavy one

Cion silver

posted
Nice watch Ted, what is the model number and year it was made, i have a similar movement but my balance wheel does not seem to be centred like yours.i have 2 coin siver cases 1 16 sz and 1 18 sz swingout.
Pretty cool. Cool Cool Cool

Kevin "Veritas" West
IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Bernhard,

What a great combination.

Personally I excuse the dial damage as hazards of the line of work the watch was in. Glad the case worked out well for you. For those unfamiliar, that particular case is a marked Waltham and it is the "Locomotive Model" in honor of the engraved back. The black areas on either side of the pendant are inlaid enamel which adds greatly to its desirability. I found that outstanding case just recently at an NAWCC Mart and bought it immediately.

Your watch is now a winner Bernhard, congratulations!

Lindell

Wink

posted
Nice watch Bernhard looks very good after the dial and case change, a nice railway man,s working watch.

Kevin "Veritas" West
IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
This case is amazing! Lindell and I were just talking about this, and he was telling me about the enameling. Is there anyway you could post some more detailed photos of that enameling? This is JUST beautiful!!! Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

posted
...ofcourse, I do that tomorrow and yes, it´s lovely, I look at it before I go to bed every night. Wink
Goodnight

Bernhard "the swede"

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Indeed that is a lovely combination on the CPR watch. However, the movement may be rather early for the combination. That movement dates from around 1911. "Bulldog" cases (those without a neck to the pendant) did not start to appear until the '20s and that specific case appears in advertisements from the early '30s. I find that dial is not in my 1924 Waltham catalog but does appear in my 1930 catalog (designated as a "Canadian" dial).

posted
....yes Jerry, I have had those thougts about the case because the locomotiv looks a bit new. But the dial I have not.
What do you think a 1911, CPR looked like.
Anyway, I really love this one.

Bernhard "the swede"

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Agreed, on paper and discussing period correct, they're from different production times, but without knowing all that, these two just sing in this combination. (I'm being lyrical on a Friday afternoon (grins)). You're a VERY fortunate man, Bernhard. Don't ever let that one get away from you! High regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Jerry is right!

The movement pre-dates the case by nearly two decades. However the case represents what would have been a fitting replacement for a by then worn out case. Bernhard sure has a great looking combination any way you slice it.

Below the patent date on the "Waltham Locomotive Case" we sent over to house Bernhard's "CPR" Movement...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Below, image showing the inlaid enameling close-up...

posted
...and another one.

Bernhard "the swede"

closeup

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Bernhard, you ask what a 1911 CPR might have looked like? The only other example I can put my hands on was illustrated in Ehrhardt's 1978 "Price Indicator" where he showed a similar movement with this dial.