WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another Story from the CRYPT! SAVED By Doug and Jared! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In comes a 16s Ball/Hamilton 999B to clean up. First Inspection;

Hairspring stud lock screw missing from Balance Cock, NP

The second Hand fell apart, NP

There was 0.007" (0.2 mm) thick piece of Mainspring shoved under the back end of the Balance Cock! Mad

I dis-assemble and clean the watch, clean, polish and inspect the Jewels, test fit the Balance wheel for a spin test without the shim. it flops around like the top staff is broken.

I look more carefully at the details of the Balance wheel and staff;

1. Home-made Hairspring Collet. Looks like it was finished with a #10 Horse-shoe file.

2. METAL Roller Jewel Hand-Filed so it "works"

3. Balance wheel Crossbar DRILLED OUT AND FITTED WITH A RIVET TYPE STAFF! WHICH BENT THE WHEEL AND CROSS BAR SO THEY HAVE BEEN RE-BRNT TO A "LAZY S" CURVE SO THE RIM "RUNS STRAIGHT". Roll Eyes

Using a New 992B staff, I validate that;

A. The jewels and plate mechanics are OK, the staff fits fine without a 0.007" shim.

B. ALL the hardware for the Balance wheel assembly have been filed or drilled out to fit the too short Brand X Rivet type staff.

This Ball Hamiolton 999B Balance wheel parts set has been ruined in the Crypt by the WATCH MONSTER! Mad

Anybody have a new or used but serviceable 992B wheel assembly? Broken staff is OK.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David-

I have some NOS complete 992B wheels. It might be a little more than you're needing, but would make for an easy fix for you. The factory number is in the picture. I'm not too sure what a fair price would be on them though. Smile

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jared, Another IHC185 member sent me this for service.

He purchased it from Doug Addy [now deceased] a few years back.
Doug posted this watch five years ago

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...1060351/m/1841020442

After he bought it locally to see what the rest of the members thought about it.

So your complete balance wheel assembly will therefore go to restoring a watch with a very deserving home.

Would you consider $125.00? Please e-mail me at david@glopar.com to discuss it further.

Thanks
Dave

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David-

Email sent.

Thanks,

Jared

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thank You Jared. More to come soon . . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
With the Help of the late Douglas Addy via Jared, a Ball Hamilton is SAVED! Note the debris field in the foreground.

posted
David-

Beautiful watch and now running like it should. I'm just glad to see the parts go to fixing good watches instead of sitting there unused. did you even have to do anything with it or were you able to basically drop it in? since I have a couple more it'd be useful for future projects.

Thanks,

Jared

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jared, I had to do two things, adjust for a slightly (about 0.05 mm) longer Staff, and Adjust for timing ever so slightly.

With the new wheel installed Beat was 0.5 m sec, and it "Turned on" at 18006 BPM, so I brought it "down" to 18002.

An excellent save" considering the beating this watch took.

I would like to add that I have received many more leads about parts available from our club members, and as one of our shared goals is to recover as many of these beautys as possible, I believe we could expand the "commercial" post section to a Parts and services available" and then we can all list our "strong suits" for these hard to get "un-obtainium" parts.