• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

early Hamilton 940 hands? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can someone post a pic of what a set of hands on an early 940 (serial number 180697) would look like.
thanx Eric

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Eric,

There were a few choices and variations in Hamilton hands around the turn-of-the-century, specifically 1902 when your 940 number 180697 was produced. Hands were not as bold then as they would become in later years. The hands and for that matter the dials you see below on 140158 on the left from 1901 and 483621 on the right from 1906 are fairly typical of that era.

Lindell

Below, representative correct for around 1902 Hamilton hands...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Would it make a differance if it were for candian railway use? this is a canadian watch marked special and a town in ontario. it has a 24 hour dial as well.

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

How much different are they? Usually we're talking regular factory production items, but as I mentioned above there were choices. The hands could also be changed by the jeweler early-on and of course we've had more than a century for alterations to take place. It goes without saying that seeing your watch would help.

Below, the hands on 8420 and 48727 which are less common...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

And now an authoritative point of reference. Imagine being able to order from this one!

Here, choices in the January 1st 1909 Hamilton Material Catalog...

posted
Thats them! #114 in your cataloge pic. thanx lindell I thought maybe they were not correct but see now they are.

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Lindell,
I'm a little confused. Confused The four sets of hands on the left all seem to have minute hands with a square hole broached in them , indicating use on a key set movement. Since Hamilton never made a key set movement, are you sure these hands were made for Hamilton watches?

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Ed,

I see the image above could leave that impression. However, looking at the actual page the center holes are indeed quite round. Remember too, these were artist's drawings in the catalog. As for authenticity, the image above is from page 12 of the 1909 Hamilton Watch Company Material Catalog. You'll also notice on the watches I showed in images above, 3 of the 5 hand styles are shown on those examples.

Below, page 12 of the 1909 Hamilton Watch Material Catalog...