Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

DIAL CLEANING QUESTIONS "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1701
posted
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE OR KNOWHOW ABOUT CLEANING A GOLD METAL DIAL ON A SOUTH BEND 16 SIZE WATCH?
THANKS

Posts: 38 | Location: Maryville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2011
posted

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Don, metal dials finished with thin, unprotected gold or silver plating for early 20TH century US watchmakers all suffer easily from the corrsion of the copper-based substrate "telegraphing" through the decoratvie plating. Gently clean the dial wby hand in a solution of dish soap and warm water and if the dial remains "dirty" looking you either have to use it "as-is", find a better dial (hard for South Bends), or send it to International Dial Co. in Ohio who will re-plate it and print some sort of new numbers and the maker's Name on it for you.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I have done a few South Bend watches for a friend who had me send them to International dial company because the dials were is so poor a shape it was hard to read some of the numbers. One of the dials was a cream/golden color background that came off but left the numbers in place when he tried to clean it. So be careful if this is what you are describing.
I was pleasantly surprised how they came out. The numbers looked almost the same as the numbers that were visible before the work was done. This was the budget refinishing. I understand that they have a service for collectible watches that will make sure that everything is exactly as it was on the original.
I have a few Illinois 12s watches that I will be sending to them because of the work they did. But they are beyond saving and better a refinished dial than one that is half gone.

I also came across this post in the clock repair section. I have not tried the method, but I would be very careful when doing it. Perhaps try it on a spare dial that is already ruined if you have one.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Donald,

Check out our Watch Repair Questions and Answers forum.

This subject has been discussed numerous times, you may find the best topic is here...

Click for the "Porcelain-Enamel Dial Cleaning" topic.

Scroll up and down, read every precaution.

I would urge you to begin with very mild cleaners, use nothing abrasive on a metal dial

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1701
posted
Thanks to all for replying to my question about dials.

Posts: 38 | Location: Maryville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2011