Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How do you clean a metal Elgin Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
What is the best way to clean a metal dial such as the one on this 12s Elgin?

Any comments are welcome.... Big Grin

Thanks,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
I find these dials the toughest to clean. My experience is that if I get it to look a little better I've done well. I hope someone has some good tips for cleaning. I use a mild liquid dishwashing soap, my fingers and a warm water rinse. Anything I've tried more aggressive than that has caused more harm than good.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
I find that if you give these dials a good rubbing with a piece of Rodico they will clean up a little. What I do is knead a piece of this stuff until it softens a bit.Then I rub and knead,rub and knead until it looks better.Every watch bench should have a few sticks of this in a drawer.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
there is nothing that can't be fixed with rodico. i fixed a leak in the top of my windsheld on my old t-bird with it.

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
So what is Rodico? and what is it really supposed to be used for?

OOPS, I missed the link.

Pretty cool stuff huh?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
It is like a green silly putty. It has a thousand uses. Everything from pulling dirt off pivots, cleaning pivot holes, holding parts you are working on, walking the dog, Smile just kidding about the dog, but it is great stuff. It won't stick to parts, but will pull away gunk that is stuck to the parts.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Yep! As soon as I left the question, I noticed the link. Looks like some pretty nice stuff.

Thank you!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
At disassembly, it is really good for pullin up the wind and click wheels after you unscrew them.

After clean, polish and servicing train pivots, I "polish" every one with rodico as the last thing before dry spin test and final (oiled) assembly.

When I "button up" a movement, I use rodico to clean off all the exposed plates, and then after final hand installation, I use it for taking fingermarks off dials.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Sheila, I am going to the show at Daytona beach Feb 18th. I will get it there and send you a box.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's my experiment in cleaning a metal dial with cream of tartar.
This dial was pretty far gone but there is an improvement. And it doesn't seem to have any major adverse affect on the white and black portions. But it is a little harsh on the gold accents.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
After cleaning and as purchased on the right.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011