• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton cases and 974's "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
There's a Hamilton 974 Special, on eBay with (what is probably) a well worn case.

I like the 974 Special and I think it is a "sleeper" that will be appreciated in years to come. (I've restored two.... one with a pristine, "Electric RR" dial.)

In my travels, I've picked up a number of Hamilton cases that came out at the tail-end of the 992 models, remained through the 992E's and were used at the beginning of the 992B's. I like these cases and they make a ho-hum watch into something special.

The 974 Special, on eBay, appears to have a 1933 production date. Although we usually associate the Hamilton cases with the 992 and it's successors, does anyone know if late 974's were also cased (factory) in these cases?

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Peter,
It appears from the early catalogues that 974's were sold "movement only" until abt. 1929.

At this point Hamilton started advertising the 974 "Factory Cased Only" as seen in the below 1929 catalog excerpt.

None of the Hamilton catalogues that I have access to, offer an option of "Railroads Cases" for the 974, but do offer an option of railroads dials.

Below is a couple of 974 cases that were offering in the last 20's and late 30's.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
And another case that is exactly like the 992B No. 16, but "gold-filled" whereas the No. 16 is "Rolled Gold Plate".

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Thanks Robert. I'm getting a bit less confused but.... as always, there are still exceptions.

Terry Hall very kindly emailed me with similar information but he mentioned that the early 992B's might have come with "B" or "C" cases, for which we don't have actual examples, only descriptions.

Do you know if the "B" case, might have been the GF "Traffic Special" revived.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

If I recall correctly we had the example you see below as perhaps being the "Case B" used when Hamilton ran short of cases during the war. It is identical in every way to the Illinois Bunn Special Case 118 with an important exception, this one is clearly marked "Hamilton Watch Company / Lancaster, Pa." inside the back.

Interesting WWII Hamilton Case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Peter,

Here is all we know about the Model "B".

We have a empty "B" box (captured from auction) with no watch and a brief discription maybe told by L. Halligan, Sales and Merchandising Mgr. for Hamilton in the late 40's.

We have a lot of conjecture but no real facts.

Hopefully we can put this puzzle together before long.

Robert

posted
Doesn't this suggest that the "B" cases were just old Traffic Special or "former" cases that were still in stock. The re-order may or may not have actually happened.

Is it "like" Hamilton to simply rename a case for a later model?

Do we have an actual date of that excerpt?

posted
Peter,
Yes, but which one?

Below is the complete sheet excerpt.

This document must have been written sometime after 1949, since the No. 14 (introduced, Oct. 1, 1949) is the last case listed.

Hopefully, Don can give us some insight on the date.

Robert

posted
Aaaaaargh!

Why don't we simplify this and say that the "proper" 1940 case is.....MINE! Razz Big Grin