Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 1888 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1613
posted
Here is a Waltham Watch Co. Model 1888 19 jewel watch I had restored and got back a couple weeks ago...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Pic 2

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Pic 3

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
AWCO Grade Model 1888s are lovely and relatively scarce watches. Gary, your example is very handsome. Eric ****** does fine watch restoration work. I assume you both are aware that your watch does not have the usually "correct" dial or winding wheels. The dial on these watches normally says "A.W.W.Co." in Gothic letters, under which "WALTHAM, MASS." appears in smaller non-Gothic font. The winding wheels on the 19j AWCO Grade Model 1888s are revered for their finish of tiny straight lines radiating from the hub. I can post photos of examples if you would like to see them.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Because I have a few spare minutes, I thought I'd post several photos of AWCO Grade Model 1888 to show what dials and winding wheels are generally considered correct. Before I do, I should also clarify what I meant when I said these AWCO grade watches are relatively scarce. No one seems to know exactly how many were made. I have seen a number of different estimates. One was that there were just 500 19j versions made, up to 100 21j versions, and less than 100 17j versions (I've never seen one). Another estimate is that there were about 2000 OF and up to 600 hunter 19js made and 109 OF and 170 hunter 21js. Whatever the actual number, the 21j and 17j versions are quite scarce, and the 19js are not everyday items.

Here is the dial on my 19j OF AWCO Model 1888, which is in a 14k Robert & Forster Case

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here's the movement of my 19j OF AWCO Model 1888. Notice the radial line finish of the winding wheels.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here's the dial on my 19j AWCO Model 1888 hunter, which is in an 18k Waltham case. Note that the dial and hands on this watch are substantially identical to those on my 19j OF example.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is the movement of my 19j AWCO Model 1888 hunter. Note the radial line finish of the winding wheels.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is the dial on my 21j AWCO Model 1888 OF. Note that it is the same as the dial on my other two AWCO Model 1888s except that it has Arabic numerals and a red minute track. The hands on all three watches are substantially identical. The hands on Gary's Model 1888 are different, but nice looking.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is the movement of my 21j AWCO Model 1888, which is in an 18k K&B case. Note that the winding wheels are different; they do not have the radial line finish of the 19js. While this might make those winding wheels seem incorrect, they almost certainly are correct. This 21j was made just after a a run of Riverside Maximus Model 1888s that had similar fancy winding wheels. Wheels like that were used on the subsequent run of 21j AWCOs, all known example of which I have been told have winding wheels like the ones on my watch.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Ethan thanks for the info....I will try to find the correct dial for the watch...Might not be easy but I will start looking...I just found a dial for a Canadian Imperial watch I have and it only took about 10 years...LOL...This is the dial that was on the watch when I got it (not sure if it was original either)...We thought it would look a little better with the dial that is on it now...One thing I found interesting about this watch was the roller table, safety roller and pallet were all gilt colored...

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
These dial hunts can take time, but persevere. My AWCO Model 1888 19j hunter came with a Bailey, Banks & Biddle dial that not only was unoriginal, but also wasn't the right size. I bought an AWCO Model 1888 parts movement that had the correct dial and winding wheels for $431.68 in 2019. The parts movement dial is now on my hunter. The parts movement winding wheels replaced the incorrect ones on my OF AWCO Model 1888 19j. So you see I know first hand the issues one faces in trying to restore AWCO Model 1888s to correctness.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Thanks again Ethan...Let the hunt begin...

posted
Very nice Gary. The 1888 and 1872 are my favorites.

Posts: 784 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
IHC Member 1338
posted
Gary; I have the 1888 hunter 19J version. Has correct case dial and wheels. Took awhile to find but worth it.

Ethan, I THINK my 1888 Maximus has similiar winding wheels to your 21J 1888 as you said.

Don had a 21J 1888 OF model with correct dial he sold to Jack awhile back. This 19J and my 1888 OF Riverside Maximus will be the last watches I would ever sell. Beautiful pieces!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008