Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sheila's Orphaned 21 Jewel Seth ready for Home "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In January of 2008 our wonderful associate and member Sheila Gilbert brought up this Seth Thomas "orphan" she had rescued from eBay. In her usual gracious way Sheila had suggested it may have some usable parts . . . I suggested that she send it to me for possible restoration . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In May, Sheila sent me this watch for review, and I posted the following letter about what I found with a list of parts needed . . .

Sheila’s Seth Thomas Project
Arrived May 27, 2008

Sheila Gilbert's Seth Thomas has arrived for restoration! For all concerned, Sheila has agreed to let us try to bring this 21 Jewel model 260 beauty back to life! It arrived today from Sheila as pictured below, and Brian C. and I have agreed to make this a "project" for Sheila. I will start a new thread as we progress to bring all of you up to date on this very fun and important restoration of a fine Timepiece. Hmm, on first look, it needs a Balance staff, Main Wheel, Cannon Pinion and Hour Wheel, some screws, a Dial, Hands, a Case (Sheila how about that 18s Silveroid you posted recently?).

May 28, Watch Disassembled and inspected.

Some other details,
General condition;
Main Spring barrel and arbor; all very good, it appears to be reworked barrel and spring with torque pin soldered in barrel, and spring made with a folded-back style clip.
Jewels; look OK
Balance Wheel; Double Roller, Jewel Pin and Balance spring OK, top pivot of Balance staff is broken.
Train;
The Main Wheel Cannon Pinion Shaft is broken off. New wheel or wheel staff needed.
2nd wheel , seconds wheel, Escape wheel, and Pallet fork assembly are all OK.
Wind and set parts; All appear to be there except cannon pinion and Hour Wheel.
Parts needed,
Regulator for this model Whip style
Balance Staff
Main Wheel or staff
Cannon Pinion & Hour Wheel
2 more matching Movement Screws
Good Dial and Hand Set
Decent Lever-set Case.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Through the following few months most of the parts were rounded up, many thanks to Bryan Cavenaugh who with his generous research, recovery, and most reasonable sale from his large supply of spare parts has been instrumental in the recovery of many many Pocket Watches.

After an interruption due to a business matter, I was able to attend to this project again late this spring. The biggest challenge was finding a replacement balance staff for the very rare double roller movement!. Close inspection showed that some staffs were very close . . . So I took it to Vladimir to consider the possibility of making one of my "close looking" ones work. Vladimir soon discovered an Illinois Staff that fitted "just like new"! (He also observed this is an Illinois wheel train. Eek)

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So it is near finished!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Running strong!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Lacking any appropriate case for it, it is temporarily Housed in a Base Metal case, and now I can time it, detail a few more parts and do those little secret things we never talk about to make it happy. Cool

One last report is forthcoming to conclude this post and I will then send it back to Sheila who I am sure will give it the nice home deserving of a rare RR Grade Seth Thomas which is proved to be much more than a "Parts" Watch. Smile

IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
Uh-oh. Up 'til now I thought I only was interested in Hamiltons.

What a nice watch!

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009
posted
Pretty movement - especially under the balance wheel, great dial, and excellent hands. Nice!

Is that plate screw blue for a reason?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Great Job Guys! Ted

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thanks for the comments, more to come about the watch, after 24 hours it "lost" 10 seconmds.

As for the condiiton of the plates, I speculate that it knocked around in a Jewelry box since the 1930's (after the case was sold for Gold scrap). As the Jewelery box was full of hatpins, stickpins and other sharp edges and points, it is amazing that it survived as well as it did.

The "blued" plate screw" came with it and will either be replaced or polished while the "finishing details are done early next week.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
A super job, David & Brian C., Thanks for breathing life back into another 'dead soul'....

Thanks to Vladimir as well....

Keep up the good work that you both do....

Thanks to you most Sheila, for the sharp eye and wherewithall to rescue this precious jewel....

We will be watching to see the 'final' result of this saga....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The "Wrap" on Sheila's rescued Orphan Seth Thomas watch to restore it to where it is now took the following help;

Brian Cavenaugh;
Regulator Whip
Main Wheel with staff (Complete)
Cannon Pinion
2 Pillar Screws
Hour and Minute Hands
Hour Wheel to fit Cannon Pinion

Dave A.
Cleaning and restoration work
Base Metal Case
Regulator Adjustment Screw
Dial
Second Hand
1 Pillar Screw

Valdimir Gelfer
re-staff and Poise Balance Wheel

Thank You everybody!

Now all that is Left is to hear from Sheila!

Sheila, please respond to this Post or the e-mails I have sent you. I pray that you are OK!