Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18s Hamilton "Thor" 17J Info please "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Any info of the 18s Hamilton "Thor" would be greatly appreciated. I know they are private label. From my own research I have found out that they have a unique demaskeen pattern and are signed "Thor" and have a dial signed by Hamilton. There are not many pictures but all the ones I have found both hunting and open face have Monty dials. I have a 926 and a 927. They both have the same unique demaskeen pattern. The 926 I purchased complete. The 927 was a movement only. I have put a Monty dial on it because all the hunters I can find pictures of have Monty dials on them. I must admit a Monty dial does not look right on a hunter movement if you asked me. I put it in a hunter case. So I am just wondering if anyone has ever seen a Hamilton Thor that did not have a Monty dial on it.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Can't help on this,but sure would like to see it.
The ones you saw with monty dials, were they marked
the sane as the movement? Double sunk
I am like you a strange combination.

Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Roger, I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them here.

I have seen Hamilton PL's put just a PL dial on their movements, I have seen Hamilton inscribe just the movement and I have seen Hamilton inscribe both the movement and dial.

A monty dials were not marked like the movement. They were ordinary Hamilton Monty dials. One of a very few post I found made reference to the "Thor " movements having Monty dials marked in the typical Hamilton manner. In my case Hamilton in script.

Harry

IHC Member 1555
posted
Hello Harry

My Dad has a book which mentions the 18 size Hamilton "Thor" Grade 926 movements, I think it is by Roy Ehrhardt & Bill Meggers. The one mentioned was sold under the name of "L. Manheimer & Bros New York", circa 1912, does not mention what type of dial though, maybe a Private Label for them. Hope this helps a little?

Erin

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Erin,

Thank you very much for the information. That matches what I have read that "L. Manheimer & Bros. of New York" jewelers. I have a few of those books but I must not have the correct ones because I have not sen anything on them. The post I found was about the 16s version but everything correlates to the 18s version that I can find out. Every picture I found of the 16s and 18s all had the Monty dial. I would much prefer the Roman Numeral dial but I want to put it back as close to authentic as I can and I did not see any with a RN dial.

I hope Bila is well or at least improving. Tell Bila I said hi!

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Roger here are a few pictures of the 926 Thor and the 927 Thor. The 926 Thor is just how I got it I have not cleaned it up yet. The 927 I purchased was sold as a parts movement. It was missing the hour wheel, the case screws, the dust ring, the dial, hands and case. But it ran which was my hope when I bought it. The first three pictures will be the 926 and the last three will be the 927.

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
926-1

IHC Member 1610
posted
926-2

IHC Member 1610
posted
926-3

IHC Member 1610
posted
927-1

IHC Member 1610
posted
927-2

IHC Member 1610
posted
927-3

IHC Member 1357
posted
Nice, resembles the 940 with that tire track.
One of my favorites.

Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Roger,

The 16s Thor pattern looks similar to the first pattern used on the 992. So I am thinking that the jeweler ordered all the Thor's to look similar to their 16s and 18s 21J 940 and 992.

Harry

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks for showing those sharp looking unusual Hamiltons Harry! I have heard of them but this is the first time seeing one. Probably a little on the rare side.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Harry -

Halligan documentation confirms the “Thor” movements were produced with a special damaskeening pattern for L. Manheimer & Co.

While these metrics may not be comprehensive, the notes indicate the following production recorded for each grade:

974P: 300 Recorded as “Thor”
974L: 50 Recorded as “Thor”
975P: 290 Recorded as “Thor”
926: 40 Changed to “Thor” (Gilt Letters but not gilt trimmings) [First Grade 926 “Thor” Watches 968,001 - Sold in 1918]
927: 40 Changed to “Thor” (Gilt Letters but not gilt trimmings)

The "Thor" pattern is also mentioned in a short list of custom private label damaskeening designs.

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
You are welcome Ted!

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you for the additional information Nathan.So if I am understanding this correctly that both the 926 and 927 both had a total run of 40 each? (unless some new information surfaces which happens from time to time). I figured more than that were produced. I have seen three Thor 926's (including mine) but this is the only 927 I have seen.

Harry

posted
Harry - I would not consider these comprehensive or finalized production numbers. They are simply the counts specifically recorded as such in Hamilton records.

A few conclusions can be drawn with this information:

1. The "Thor" private label was produced by Hamilton for L. Manheimer & Co. (L. Manheimer & Bros.)
2. The "Thor" movements featured a custom damaskeening pattern, significant enough to appear by name in a small list of special patterns within the factory records.
3. The “Thor” name was applied to a variety of 16s and 18s grades.
4. The production was relatively low but significant enough for documentation in summaries.

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Nathan!

Harry