• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Blindman Montgomery "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have just come across the term "Blindman Montgomery dial." Is this the same as a "Montgomery dial?" What is the significance of the Blindman terminology?

Thanks

Tim

timothy white

Posts: 8 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: January 19, 2019
posted
The only thing I could think of is a term referring to large bold numbers where the earlier Montgomery dials had main number that were less bold. The numbers became bolder, fatter, larger or whatever term you want to use and saying they were blindman probably referred to the fact you could have poor vision and still see the main numbers.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
They probably came up with the name because the numbers are so large that even a blindman could see them. IMHO. You don't see a Monty6 Blindman that often.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Timothy - As Claude mentioned, the "Blind Man" terminology refers to a dial featuring larger and heavy numerals.

For visual reference and comparison, here is a dial page from the 1920 Hamilton Material List. The first dial (#576) is described as "Extra heavy Arabic or "Blind Mans"" while the dial below (#436) is simply described as "Heavy Arabic."

And if you want a truly uncommon Montgomery dial, find a watch fitted with dial #585.

Hamilton 1920 Catalog - Dial Page

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
posted
If you look at the two dials to the left 576, 436 and compare them to 530 and 531 you see the difference in the look. 576 and 436 most would call "blind man's dial". 581A most would call 'blind man's Montgomery Canadian (or 24hr))and the font on 436 is nearly identical to 581A. The true "blind man's dial had raised spots with a locator for 12 which has more than one raised spots and some have the same from 3/6/9 and called "braille dial". Some have 3 spots for 12 and two for 3/6/9 and one for the other numbers.

posted
All great information. Thanks for all the responses. I see that none of the dials have "Railway Special" written under Hamilton. When did they start making the watches with the railway special written on the face?

Additionally I am looking for a 992B Railway Special with a Monte dial. If anyone has one they want to sell please let me know. There is a long story attached to my need but the short story is that that particular watch has sentimental value to me.

Thanks again to all.

Tim

timothy white

posted
depending on the year a good 992B dial might be tough to come by because the later ones are melamine and age crack badly.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Tim,

Part of IHC185 Membership is the ability to Buy and Sell in our IHC185 Trading Mart .

We invite you to Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™!

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1357
posted
Timothy, the dials signed HAMILTON RAILWAY SPECIAL
appeared in 1940 along with the all new 992B. But
not all movements had these dials. Some had dials
with HAMILTON in block not the script style of
earlier movements.
Hope this helps.

Roger

Posts: 4085 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Tim I think the dial you are referring to is the Hamilton 522 or 537 dials listed on this site under Hamilton 992, 992b, and the 992E dials. I don't know if you can look at that section or not without becoming a member.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Thanks for all the great information.

Tim

timothy white

IHC Member 1338
posted
Tim contacted me about wanting to buy a 992B with a Montgomery dial, I'm the one that used the term 'blindman montgomery" when describing the watch to him. As stated above this term describes the extra bold arabic numerals on this dial.

So here's the dial in question: As Harry stated it is indeed a #522 dial and not a bad looking example.

Also, as Roger posted some dials like this 522 appeared on early 992Bs as well, this one is a 1941 example and has the correct Model 11 case.

Tim, I also suggest you join this group as there is a wealth of information available here and the membership dues will pay for themselves many times over.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Tim, I have several 992B's with Monty dials.

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
posted
New to this forum. How do you send a PM? Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Location: Triad, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: March 06, 2019
IHC Member 1338
posted
Steve, you cannot send a PM on this site. You'll need to just reply here or click on the members name
you want to get hold of and should see an email addreess.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008