Page 1 2 3 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Thoughts on best bang for your buck 18s 21j "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
Looking for thoughts and input why you feel a specific 18s w/ 21j Pocket watch is the best...

My2cents: Hamilton has one of the prettiest movements in the 940 series. Price wise not too expensive.

The Hampden seems to be the best bang for the buck - based on price

The Bunn with the "Gothic" dial makes you just want to own it (period)

Any Elgin or Waltham AFICIONADOs out there.

Also, anyone own a 23j 18 Hampden???

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011

posted
The 940 herd

posted
Hampden Railway

posted
There is simply no beating a two-tone Model '92 ...

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
... unless it's a Seth.

Wink

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1508
posted
I too feel that the Hamilton 940 is the best. That is the reason why there are so many of them out there, they were one of THE top railroad watches of their day. Same goes for it's replacement...the 992. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I think the Hamilton 936 is very under-appreciated, so you can buy them very cheaply for their historical significance as Hamilton's first true railroad watch.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004

posted
Come on Eric - That Maiden Lane is like buying my wife another engagement ring (2 months pay) Roll Eyes

the two tone 92 is very sweet!

IHC Member 1508
posted
Then again, I love my 1908 Elgin "Overland". Very well built, easy to work on, accurate, and pretty.

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010

posted
Brad - would love to get a peek at the Overland...

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Waltham 642. ALWAYS MOTOR BARREL POWERED, Rare as a Hen's Tooth, RRG adjusted Movement as good as any 21J.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007

posted
The Bunn

IHC Member 1508
posted
Jon, I'm right in the process of putting it in a more fitting case, it is in a great big nickel "turnip", and those never really thrilled me. However, I'll take a few "before" pics and put them up for ya. But I'll have to do it tomorrow, as I use sunlight to take my pictures, and the sun has gone down. Regards, Brad

posted
In the full plates you the grade 149 is one of the nicer looking ones.

With Elgin you also have more than a few 3/4 plates to look at some of the Veritas, FT and some tu-tone version.

Bang for the buck would probably the full plate models.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009

posted
Claude - I knew you were hiding an Elgin 18s 21j

IHC Member 1508
posted
Actually Jon, go to the "pitfalls" section, and scroll down to "1908 Elgin Overland" The old link is still there with lots of pics. Brad

posted
Here ya go - Brad

posted
Best bang for your buck in a 21j 18s? Hampden. They typically run 10-20% under the prices for comparable Elgins, Illinois, and Hamiltons. The quality is just as good as they all were made to meet railroad time.

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009

posted
Jared - any thoughts on the 23j 18s Hampden?

posted
Jon-

Same thing. Compare the price of a 23j Hampden to any of the others and the hampden is way under valued. I will at some point add a 23j railway special to my collection with the 2-tone pattern. I have a parts 23j 2-tone that will never run again and also a standard pattern 23j railway special that has a chance to someday once parts become available.

Jared

posted
Jared -

Maybe a dumb question:

What parts swap between the 21 and 23j Hampden movements?

I have a pretty much complete 21j, but needs a new hair spring...

posted
Jon-

Should swap over just fine. The last parts 21J movement I bought I found out only needed cleaned, so I felt bad and just cleaned it up instead of robbing from it and sold it.

It needs aoallet fork and a plate jewel. Otherwise a cleaning and should be good to go. The balance swings freely and also looks complete.

Jared

posted
23j Hampdens will get pricey compared to a 21j full plate Elgin. The one below I got for $51 but it was because the guy could not get the bezel off and no one was brave enough to take a chance and bid.

North American Railway 21j

My 2nd 23j New Railway

I bit unusual full plate grade 349 marked Father Time and 5 Positions.

I have John Hancock 18s 21j and it is hard to beat a North American in looks but from my collection it is a bit of a toss up between those and the Elgin full plates.

Hampden 23j vs 23j 18s in any other brand, hands down Hampden.

posted
Here's the Special Railway I am talking about,. has to have a good 2-tone, but they are spectacular! This picture is from a past ebay sale of somebodys. Too bad, I would have liked to have this one!

posted
Thanks... Agree the Hampden is the best route to get the most bang for the buck on the 18s 23j quest

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sadly, all 200 of these were only 17 Jewel. So I guess it falls outa the "Bang" categorty. Nice watch tho . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Just for clarification, are you asking best bang for the buck now, or at the time they were made? Confused

That would make a BIG difference, don't cha know?

Just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page here.

Hampden's were the one to beat 'back in the day' when it came to buying a railroad watch, but you can just about buy two Hampden's for the price of one Hamilton now.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002

posted
Mark - Good Question...

I was trying to go with the present day pricing of the 18s 21j models. And it looks like the Hampden is a real strong leader for bang for your buck (sad, but they really dont get much love) Confused

David - Nothing wrong with posting a nice picture of 18s 17j, Ed made mention of a good bang for the buck 18s 17j Hamilton model... Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I think the 940 is (among my stuff) the best (eBay) "Bang". This one cost me $98.00

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Granted the case is a little worn, and the dial could be better, but it was (and still is) a WORKING watch! btw, I restored it after these "as received" pics.

posted
Dave I can't argue with that too much, you see good common 940's go from maybe $100 to the $200 depending on condition and case. I tend to agree with what other people have mentioned that Hampdens are less "chased" after than Hamiltons so I think that would impact the overall average price. Most of my Elgin 150's I have picked up in the 125-150 range, even the lever sets 150's (really 277s) with the exception of my 3rd run 432 watch which is more like a 181 than a 150 or 277 but I won it for 150 off ebay also.

So my list in order of most bang to less bang would be

1- Hampden lesser names Dueuber or John Hancock 21j types the North American Railway tend to get a bit pricey along with the New Railway 21j

2- (toss up) common variety 940 or common variety Elgin full plate 181's or 150's. The lurkers will drive the price of a 150 up if they suspect it has a lever (277) but the pendant sets usually go for a decent price. 349's tend to have a following and end up averaging a bit more than the lesser made 181.

3- Waltham 1892, I tend to see the prices on these holding an advantage over 1 and 2. Good watches and a good following.

4- Illinois, South Bend, Rockford -not sure how to rank these totally but usually I see prices at the end of the auction that show a great deal of interest by more than a few people.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
It's been interesting of late how many Hampden Special Railway's have been turning up. They're usually few and far between.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002

posted
Claude -

Nice breakout of the Hampden, Waltham, Elgin, and Hamilton...

You raise a good question: Do the IL, SB, and Rockford 18s fit into the bang for your buck. I just have one 21j Bunn w/ a pretty nice Gothic dial and I had to give 325$ for it. I have been chasing the 21j Rockford, and have NOT ponied up for the price increase compared to the Bunn. And nothing on the SB, yet...

David - have you had a chance to get the 21j Hampden you purchased from Barry going? I am like you and cannot pass up a Hamilton 940 (running) for less than 100$

This is turning out to be a pretty good string of ideas, thoughts, price ranges, pictures, etc... Big Grin