Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Beautiful 950 ELINVAR!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
I just had to share this with all the 950E lovers here.
This is one of the most beautiful 950E ELINVAR Hamiltons that i have seen and worked on.

To take a watch like this one apart and clean/oil it is such a pleasure!! You just realize the QUALITY that was put into a movement like this!

The Case the same thing! It is just Beautiful.

So I want to share some pictures with you!! Smile

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
The movement!!

I left a case screw out so you can see that it lines up so perfect! But it's to hard to see. Maybe I'll take a close up in the morning.

Think I'll be more like PHIL!! and try to get to bed earlier!!! Wink

I never realized that there were FOUR plates.
Look at the screws, there are NINE of them!!

I also noticed that every part had the serial number on it. Not just the larger ones, but every plate, the balance, the balance cock, just every part!

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Then the case.

I thought I saw something on here about this Hamilton Mainliner case.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Smile

IHC Life Member
posted
The inside of the back cover.

I think I need to work on the pictures. But you can see what I'm talking about I think.

Movement 2640959 in Hamilton Mainliner case number 1203686

IHC Life Member
posted
Well I hope you like it. I know I really had a lot of fun doing it!!

Regards,
Larry

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Great job, Larry and a beautiful watch.
That's what snipe bids are for so you can get to bed early. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Beautiful piece, Larry. Your pics look great.

It is fun taking 'em apart, ain't it? Cool

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Phil and Eric!

Yes I really enjoy taking them apart Eric. You look at some of them, and they just look a mess. Then when you take the parts out of the cleaner they just shine, and I can't wait to get it back together and wind it up to watch it take off again!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Good going Larry, a very nice example of a cool watch. Cool

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Nice one Larry Smile

As to the case, it is an original Hamilton Mainliner. They are seldom seen today and most you see will be the close J. Boss Railroad case that will not be a signed Hamilton case.

There is one slight problem though......................................

It's not in my collection Eek

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Great Job Larry, you have yourself quite a nice example of one of the most sought after Models....

Great pictures as well, you are doing a great job....Keep it up...!

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Larry's watch is not only good-looking, it is a dead-on original that fits with other correct examples.

As background, the movement and case combination which would become known correctly described as the "Hamilton 950 Mainliner Elinvar" was introduced in 1937 and it would continue to be available each successive year through 1940-41 production. After which point, beginning late in 1941 the 950E would be replaced with the 950B as an entirely new watch based on the 992B design.

Knowledgeable collectors prefer these watches to be configured as Larry's is, with the number 532 dial and baton hands, however they were available with other dials and the movements also came in models 2, 8, 10, 11 and A cases. It is most important to recognize the "Hamilton Mainliner" is a very specific case with very specific Hamilton markings inside the case-backs, be careful not to confuse other similar looking cases with these and always compare numbers on case-back, frame and bezel.

Here are a few correct examples...

2611552 in Mainliner Case 1071323

2612158 in Mainliner Case 1071102

2618348 in Mainliner Case 1071112 (Boxed Set)

2638940 in Mainliner Case 1203506

2639170 in Mainliner Case 1194377

2640299 from 1940 in Mainliner Case 1203524 (Hang Tag)

2640959 in Mainliner Case 1203686 <<< Larry's watch

2649747 produced in 1941 with Mainliner Case number 1203564

We will never know how many of the 7,000 Hamilton 950 Elinvar movements produced were cased and sold as "Hamilton 950 Mainliner Elinvar" watches but it was likely a small percentage. Unfortunately the "Mainliner" cases use the same numbering as other Keystone cases of the same period, that makes it difficult, but the numbers for these are rather closely clustered together which may have meaning. Wink Anyhow, we should remember, with any collectible stay with the "known-to-be-correct" item as it will increase in value.

These are the ONLY real Hamilton Mainliner case-back markings...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Nice One Larry.

Posts: 77 | Location: Hartford, Connecticut in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you to everyone!! Smile

Thank you Lindell, as always you bring out the true facts in a way that is easy to understand, and in a way that we can refer back to the info that you take the time to put up for us.

I'm sure I speak for everyone, when I say that, it is MUCH appreciated and, Thank YOU!!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Nice looking watch Larry,
Keep up the great work. The Mainliner still remains on my wish list, maybe someday. It's great to see nice examples like yours. I've bid on a couple and lost as well as past on others due to condition. Come to think of it I've offered more for the Mainliner than any other watch.
Congrats and enjoy,
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Richard.

I wish they could all look this one, but it seems to be almost a loosing proposition at times.
But we keep trying!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Alright Alright Are you ready for a little story then Confused

The Little Engine that Could is a children's story that appeared in the United States of America. The book is used to teach children the value of optimism and hard work. Some critics would contend that the book is a metaphor for the American dream.

In the tale, a long train must be pulled over a high mountain. Various larger engines, treated anthropomorphically, are asked to pull the train; for various reasons they refuse. The request is sent to a small engine, who agrees to try. The engine succeeds in pulling the train over the mountain while repeating its motto: "I-think-I-can".

So keep on pulling Larry, Tom, Bill, Buster, Dick, Harry, Mary, together we can/will make a difference Smile

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I LIKE that Buster!!

THANK YOU! Smile

Regards,
Larry